Suggestions for a small batch IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppah

Reaction score
Looking to brew something from scratch but I've never done it before and am not really sure where to start so I was looking for suggestions. I love IPAs (nice and hoppy) so that would be a good starting place.

I dont have equipment for a large batch so only looking to do a couple gallons.

Just curious if someone has a recipe that they love and an online source for supplies to ship to Canada.

Thanks in advance everyone!

I brew a 5.5 gallon IPA and it is really good. You could just cut this in half.

10# 2 row
2 # munich light
.5# crystal 10

My hop additions were
Magnum , Denali, Enigma, Azacca, lemon drop and citra.

Any suggestions for a beginner's guide to actually doing it? Haha, I've never brewed a batch with the exception of the pre-packaged wort kits.

Anyone know of a good site for ordering within Canada?

You can def find some great online resources for beginners. If you’re a quick learner this was a tremendous resource when I was beginning
image.jpg

That's a great question Dgallo...whereas it's my first I'm not sure. Would you suggest extract for first time?

I've done the premade wort kits before (festabrew) but that is it.

Here's my latest IPA. 3.75gal. Mind you 2lbs Golden Light DME and Wheat DME will get you in the same ballpark. Also, I used Azacca instead of Simcoe. I'm digging it!

Additional notes. 10min boil. Used 4gal RO water, .5tsp Gypsum, 1tsp Calcium Chloride, and 1.1ml Lactic acid. Ensure you keep oxygenation at a minimum during secondary. Hope this helps.
20190917_202755.jpeg

That's a great question Dgallo...whereas it's my first I'm not sure. Would you suggest extract for first time?

I've done the premade wort kits before (festabrew) but that is it.
Well do you have the equipment to do all grain? If not, partial mashes with extract and steeping specialty grains may be a better direction as a beginner. Will help you understand the basics of gravities and brewing overall

How hard is it to hit and maintain temperatures on your normal at home stove top? I feel like this would be tough but maybe In wrong

How hard is it to hit and maintain temperatures on your normal at home stove top? I feel like this would be tough but maybe In wrong
Not sure I get what you mean? Heating the water initially is same as using anything else, maybe takes just a little longer. And getting water to boiling temps also longer but certainly works for me, and once at boiling easy to maintain as with anything else.

Obviously getting to boiling might take too long if you had a big pot, not sure how much time to get boiling impacts everything.

I enjoy doing 2.5 gal (~15L) batches all-grain BIAB on my stove top in a 5 gal pot (~19L). During the mash I wrap up the pot in a few layers of blankets and it holds the temps in the needed range.

I would advocate starting with extract (with steeping grains). There are less chances that something will go wrong on brew day and you learn 80% of what you need for all-grain brewing.

Oh, for maintaining mash temps I've been pre-heating oven to lowest setting, then turning off when I put pot in for mashing. Has worked really well!

Yakima Valley Hops would probably ship to canada. Buy a couple pound whole leaf and chew them like tobacco ...

but on a more serious note, base malt makes fermentable sugar, crystal malt has caramelized sugar...ain't rocket science trying to land a hole in one on mars....:mug::hops:

edit: monks are well known brewers and with their vows of celibacy, i wouldn't be surprised if they practice self love :)

This weekend I'm throwing together a, well, some kind of, beer with what I have on hand. Always enjoy doing this and usually end up with something tasty. Guess I could call this a pale ale.

2.5 gallons, BIAB, hoping for 1.055 to 1.060
2 lbs Marris Otter
2 lbs. white wheat malt (I've got a LOT of white wheat malt)
about 35 IBU of Centennial @ 60 min.
Probably 1/2 ounce Centennial at flameout (I've got a LOT of Centennial)
S-04.

All the Best,
D. White

This weekend I'm throwing together a, well, some kind of, beer with what I have on hand. Always enjoy doing this and usually end up with something tasty. Guess I could call this a pale ale.

2.5 gallons, BIAB, hoping for 1.055 to 1.060
2 lbs Marris Otter
2 lbs. white wheat malt (I've got a LOT of white wheat malt)
about 35 IBU of Centennial @ 60 min.
Probably 1/2 ounce Centennial at flameout (I've got a LOT of Centennial)
S-04.

All the Best,
D. White

What efficenecy do you get? I see 4 pounds malt to hit 1.055?? If i doible that for a 5 gallon it would be 8 pounds... i did not think you could get that high og with that little grain?
...or is it too late for me to be doing math tonight?!?!

What efficenecy do you get? I see 4 pounds malt to hit 1.055?? If i doible that for a 5 gallon it would be 8 pounds... i did not think you could get that high og with that little grain?
...or is it too late for me to be doing math tonight?!?!

This was an idea I just threw together. After running through BrewTarget I realized I need to make some changes. Probably need another good pound of wheat or MO.

It's getting a full ounce of Centennial at flameout too.

All the Best,
D. White

It's getting a full ounce of Centennial at flameout too.

Not sure if you are shooting for an IPA (this is a thread about IPAs) or what style you are shooting for, but for an American IPA I would think you would want 3 to 4 oz of hops between late kettle and dry hop additions (plus your 60 minute addition).

Not sure if you are shooting for an IPA (this is a thread about IPAs) or what style you are shooting for, but for an American IPA I would think you would want 3 to 4 oz of hops between late kettle and dry hop additions (plus your 60 minute addition).

I'm WAY tired of super hoppy beers. Personally, I like 30 to 45 ibu. It's more than enough.

I pitched S-04 anyway so it's not going to be to style. Chances are it will taste good though. Rarely do I brew something determined to hit specific style guidelines. I don't compete so to me it doesn't matter.

Ended up with 3 lbs of white wheat malt, 2.25 pounds of Marris Otter, 1 ounce of 60L crystal. Did a BIAB with a very fine crush and got 83% efficiency. 2.5 gallons at 1.061.

All the Best,
D. White

I'm WAY tired of super hoppy beers. Personally, I like 30 to 45 ibu. It's more than enough.

I pitched S-04 anyway so it's not going to be to style. Chances are it will taste good though. Rarely do I brew something determined to hit specific style guidelines. I don't compete so to me it doesn't matter.

Ended up with 3 lbs of white wheat malt, 2.25 pounds of Marris Otter, 1 ounce of 60L crystal. Did a BIAB with a very fine crush and got 83% efficiency. 2.5 gallons at 1.061.

All the Best,
D. White

It's funny... the last few batches i've really liked have been hefe variations. So i feel you. Kind of like an a break from hops.

But... i did just order some Strata Hops (really been impressed with yakima valley hops!!! First order but fast and overall good deal).

Anybody have suggestions for an easy pale or ipa to let them shine? I am thinking : 5 gallons, simple 2 row base, 1 ounce warrior for bitter, and dry hop with 2 two 3 ounce strata?

Back