Suggestions for a prebuilt electric kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LemonJelly

Reaction score
I'm currently looking for a kettle that can boil 6.5 gallons of water. I'm not interested in mashing or recirculating or BIAB in the kettle. I just want to heat up strike water and boil wort in the kettle. What kind of options do I have? Everything I've been looking at is way more than what I need or too much DIY for me. Trying to stay around $650-$700 if possible and keep it simple.

Email Stephen at @brausupply. He might be willing to just sell you a kettle with the elements installed. Worth a few key strokes to find out.

Just an FYI, you can get an entire brausupply BIAB setup with the controller and pump, for about the price you're willing to pay for just a kettle.

$650-700!!!!!!!!!
I'll put together a kettle with free shipping and a controller for that.

Thats about what my control panel with 3 15+ gallon stainless kettles and elements cost me...

you should be able to find a much smaller and cheaper 7-8 gallon stainless kettle with the induction clad bottom and but the cheap induction cooktop such as this one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Induction-C...576393?hash=item2ee7a0e309:g:tYYAAOSw5VFWKvoU this one is more powerfule and would be able to do larger amounts if your need grows. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Induction-C...108006?hash=item19f2685c26:g:BNsAAOSwyQtV3zRR

for 5-6 gallons only you have many options for around $200 total cost.

I didn't even think about induction. Is there any reason why that isn't a more popular option? any cons to induction? I've been going back and forth between something pre built like the colorado brew supply, Brau or Bellybuster and maybe doing a little DIY... is it as simple as buying a pre-assembled element, drilling the a hole in your kettle, installing and finding a compatible pre-built control box? One more thing I didn't really consider, in order to boil 6 gallons, it looks like I'll need a 240v outlet. Any rough estimates how much that would cost if I had to outlet 3 or so feet from the fuse box? Thank you guys for the replies.

I didn't even think about induction. Is there any reason why that isn't a more popular option? any cons to induction? I've been going back and forth between something pre built like the colorado brew supply, Brau or Bellybuster and maybe doing a little DIY... is it as simple as buying a pre-assembled element, drilling the a hole in your kettle, installing and finding a compatible pre-built control box? One more thing I didn't really consider, in order to boil 6 gallons, it looks like I'll need a 240v outlet. Any rough estimates how much that would cost if I had to outlet 3 or so feet from the fuse box? Thank you guys for the replies.

First thing, you don't need 240. Plenty of us, including myself, use two separate 120v circuits and two elements to power our brew rigs. I boil 7.5 gallons easily with 2x1500 watt elements.

Some will say 240v is the only way to go, but I'm not one of them. The argument for 240v usually includes speed to mash and boil temp. My brew days are usually 3.5 hours or less. If they got much faster I wouldn't have time to weigh out hops and clean up as I go along.

And to answer your question, yup it's that easy. Buy this...

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/hotpod-ewl3.htm

Add an element(s) of your choosing, some extension cord to hack up for the wire. Drill a hole with a step bit or knock it out with a punch. Might want to buy a bulkhead and valve assembly too. GFCI outlet adapters for 120v outlets are super cheap.

Buy a cheap 24v pump, some fittings and hose to circulate the wort around and you're good to go.

Then you can order a pre made controller or diy that too. I prefer a pre made controller, but that's mostly because I don't have the time to figure out how to make one myself.

First thing, you don't need 240. Plenty of us, including myself, use two separate 120v circuits and two elements to power our brew rigs. I boil 7.5 gallons easily with 2x1500 watt elements.

Some will say 240v is the only way to go, but I'm not one of them. The argument for 240v usually includes speed to mash and boil temp. My brew days are usually 3.5 hours or less. If they got much faster I wouldn't have time to weigh out hops and clean up as I go along.

And to answer your question, yup it's that easy. Buy this...

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/hotpod-ewl3.htm

Add an element(s) of your choosing, some extension cord to hack up for the wire. Drill a hole with a step bit or knock it out with a punch. Might want to buy a bulkhead and valve assembly too. GFCI outlet adapters for 120v outlets are super cheap.

Buy a cheap 24v pump, some fittings and hose to circulate the wort around and you're good to go.

Then you can order a pre made controller or diy that too. I prefer a pre made controller, but that's mostly because I don't have the time to figure out how to make one myself.

This is how its done....... another idea a 120 volt heater boiler well I think this would boil they use it at my local brew store. I think that can be found a little cheaper

View attachment 1446868265648.jpg

Back