Suggestions for a good doppelbock recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aharri1

In Rembrance 6/2023
Reaction score
This will be my first doppelbock I have ever brewed. I'm a huge fan of them in general and want a good high gravity one that I plan to lager for at least 4 months. Any suggestions would be appreciated [emoji41]

Here's one I posted a while back.

Korbinian is a delightful brew to be sure. Most of big commercial brewers are pretty tight with information as to what goes into their beers and Weihenstephaner seems to be no exception other that the website says it's 18.3 Plato and 32 IBU. I've drank my share of Korbinian so based on my memory and those numbers here is a starting point. This recipe has a dark Munich base for color and richness, some pilsner to help with the attenuation and finish, dark caramel malt for the bit of burnt toffee flavor I detect, and Carafa II for deepening the color. I would suggest a liquid yeast as I have heard mixed reviews from dry lager yeasts and have always had good luck with the liquids. Decoction mashing would be my choice. :mug:

5 Gallons

10.5 lbs Munich II
3 lbs pilsner
.25 lb CaraAroma
.375 lb Carafa II

2 oz Hallertau ~4%AA for 60 min (75-90 wort boil)

White Labs WLP-820 or Wyeast 2206 yeast

Here's one I posted a while back.

Korbinian is a delightful brew to be sure. Most of big commercial brewers are pretty tight with information as to what goes into their beers and Weihenstephaner seems to be no exception other that the website says it's 18.3 Plato and 32 IBU. I've drank my share of Korbinian so based on my memory and those numbers here is a starting point. This recipe has a dark Munich base for color and richness, some pilsner to help with the attenuation and finish, dark caramel malt for the bit of burnt toffee flavor I detect, and Carafa II for deepening the color. I would suggest a liquid yeast as I have heard mixed reviews from dry lager yeasts and have always had good luck with the liquids. Decoction mashing would be my choice. :mug:

5 Gallons

10.5 lbs Munich II
3 lbs pilsner
.25 lb CaraAroma
.375 lb Carafa II

2 oz Hallertau ~4%AA for 60 min (75-90 wort boil)

White Labs WLP-820 or Wyeast 2206 yeast
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back