Suggestions for a Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwikness

Reaction score
Right now, I've been using my crappy electric stove to brew 5 gallon batches. Needles to say, it's not optimal. I can barely keep my brew at a rolling boil unless I leave the lid on.

I'm in the market for a good burner. Where have you guys typically gotten yours? Which models have you used and how did you like them?

i think the consensus favorite out there, particularly for newer brewers (myself included) is the bayou classic sp10 or sp50. probably the biggest factor is budget. i've got the sp10 and it gets me to a roaring boil in about 15 mins.

Can't say much except that I went from a cheap turkey fryer burner to a Blichman. This resulted in boil time reduction from about 45-50 minutes down to about 25 minutes. I would imagine other quality burners would also work well.

I started out with a king kooker burner from my lhbs and it worked quite well. But I wanted to move to gas instead of propane so I bought a blichmann burner and it is fantastic! The major difference between the two is that the king kooker has a high pressure regulator and the blichmann is a low pressure meaning that the high pressure one will go through more propane. You can't go wrong with either.

I have a hand me down turkey fryer. Morrone tkf-300. I dont know much about it but just did a quick google search. I cant find them new but found two used for $30ish. Some random person said it is 170,000 BTU but I cant confirm.

I have only done two brews with it but It cut my brew time by an hour and I will never go back to stove top again. I still mash in my oven but bring the pot down to my garage to boil. Instead of 40 minutes to reach boil after dunk sparge its like 10 minutes. Plus, before when I added my wort chiller it took 10-15 minutes to get the pot back to a boil. Now I just crank the fryer up all the way and it literally takes 15-30 seconds to get back to boil. On top of that going from kitchen to garage has let me be much less conscious of my mess which makes brewing much easier, and my kitchen is no longer a hundred degrees (literally a couple of times) because I have a pot on the stove for an hour.

I use a re purposed turkey fryer as my burner. The burner is the same as a SP10, 50k BTU Bayou Classic. It has a 5 PSI adjustable regulator, and I can't see putting a 10 PSI regulator on it as the heat output is huge with the 5 PSI version. I haven't run it wide open to see how fast I can bring a full pot to a boil, as I don't see that as necessary. I make a full boil 5 gallon batch, (7.5-8 gallon sparge) and use 3-3.5 pounds of propane as near as I can measure. Anything is better than my old smoker burner was for boiling wort, at least it feels like the same day when I am done...

Back