Suggest A Sipping Tequila?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bondra76

Reaction score
I am trying to buy my boss a good anejo sipping tequila for Christmas

Can anyone suggest one? I am looking for something unique/expensive. Probably willing to spend up to $150

I hate tequila so I definitely need help.

I am not a huge tequila drinker, keep this in mind. However, my friend's dad owns a liquor store so we try out the wares from time to time. The tequilas that we have had and I thought were good straight, no chaser are as follows. Cabo Wabo, Don Julio Anejo, Patron Silver and Cazadores Resporado.

Wahaka Mezcal - can't beat it - much better (more character) than tequila.

At a budget of $100-$150, see if you can find a bottle of Don Julio 1942. Tried it at a tequila tasting in Tucson, and loved it. When our first child was about to be born, I told my wife I bought her a post-partum massage treatment, as a "Hey, we're parents!" gift. Then said if she wanted to respond in kind, a bottle of 1942 would be reasonable...made that bottle last for over a year. You really can smell orange/vanilla, and very smooth - my favorite of the "reserve" tequila's I've had.

Heaven Hill..... Chase it with a shot of Diesel fuel to get the bad taste out of your mouth.... Take 1000mg Ibuprofen, 1000mg Tylenol and 2 glasses of water before you go to bed... It helps with the migraine!

Kidding... If you like your job don't buy heaven Hill.... Like a few have already mentioned Don Julio Anejo 1942!

I vote Don 1942 as well. But the Milagro Single Barrel Anejo is very good too.

Best I've tasted so far is called Luna Nueva, and reasonably priced. Hard to find locally but can be had online.

Have a bottle of Magave Anejo I'm about halfway through and pretty pleased with. It was about $35 at CostCo, has won some awards, and the bottle is reasonably fancy-looking.

"Clase Azul" has to be the best sipping Tequila I've ever had (and I like tequila). It is pricy... in the range you've listed. Not only is it high quality anejo but they age it in either port or sherry barrels making for a very smooth sipper.

My wife likes this one http://casadeltequila.ch/porfidio-1...ve-porfidio-plata-70cl-39-5-p-181/language/en and it has a cool bottle...

super-jalisco-the-plata-by-porfidio.jpg

Last edited:
When I was younger, there were only two choices for tequila; Cuervo Gold and Monte Alban Mezcal con Gusano (with the worm). Neither was a "sipping" tequila and both required training wheels (lime/lemon and salt). Now it's more complicated, highland and lowland agave, oak barrels, blanco, reposado, anejo, extra anejo, etc. For that price I'd have to go with Clase Azul.

We were on the receiving end of a lovely bottle - Don Modesto Anejo, aged 12 years in oak barrels which formerly housed whiskey. You could get the caramel in the nose right off the bat. Beautiful bottle too, with an etched agave on the front!

Kind of late for YOUR Christmas giving this year, but worthy of a look if you want a decently priced sipping tequila in the future.

Thanks keep em coming. I'm actually intrigued to try one of these sipping tequilas. I'm not a big tequila guy but can't deny anything that's barrel aged.

I didn't get any of them - I got a little conflicted with sending a sipping tequila to my boss through corporate mail, but I am so ultimately intrigued by the tequilas that you guys have sent me - please please keep them coming. Am actually thinking about buying a bottle for myself in all honesty.

I didn't get any of them - I got a little conflicted with sending a sipping tequila to my boss through corporate mail, but I am so ultimately intrigued by the tequilas that you guys have sent me - please please keep them coming. Am actually thinking about buying a bottle for myself in all honesty.

You made a great move not getting any for your boss. The best thing you can do with tequila is dump it down the drain.

You made a great move not getting any for your boss. The best thing you can do with tequila is dump it down the drain.

I'm certainly not the biggest fan of tequila by any means - in fact its probably my least favorite liquor, but experiencing the finer tastes of diversity is important to me.

I may hate it, but I will try it.

Back