sugar to water ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juggabrew

juggabrew
Reaction score
so, my latest batches have come out over carbed. Most instructions I've read say to use 2 cups water. Is the water a constant variable and all I need to do is adjust amount of sugar? So if I want a carb level of 2 for a 2.5gal batch I only need 1.5oz of sugar and still boil off 2 cups water?. I have been using less water so now, ~1 cup. Im thinking the solution is stronger so that could be the reason its over carbed. Any educated Answers are welcome :mug:

The water is only a vehicle of conveyance, it's the sugar that means anything at all. If you could thoroughly disperse a mere ounce of water with the primer totally dissolved therein in your batch of beer, you'd end up with the same carbonation level at the end. The obvious challenge is dispersing such a highly concentrated dose of sugar, hence the use of a larger volume...

Cheers!

Back