sugar in an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwfripp

Reaction score
So i'm about to brew this IPA recipe using 10 lbs Briess Golden light DME. Beer smith has an ABV of 8.4% and I'm using 2 packets of SafeAle 05 because LBHS was out of Notty. Question: Will 2 packets of yeast have the same drying out effect as adding sugar would do? If I add sugar Beersmith says the ABV will go up to about 9%?

Adding Sucrose will definitely dry out your beer and add to the ABV. If you want the yeast to dry it out, the solution is to change to a yeast that does that. Adding more yeast will not change anything except waste yeast. I would recommend making a starter with a single packet and adding sucrose to your boil.

OG 1.076
IBU 77.8
color 13.4 SRM
ABV 8.4%

10 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (4.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.75 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min

1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 60.0 min
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 60.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 60.0 min

1.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
1.25 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
1.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

2 packets 05

I was also going to suggest to mash in at a lower temperature but realized you are using extract. My suggestion stands at making a starter and adding Sucrose

Id go with 1lb since it is extract to balance it better with the unfermentables in the extract.

I only know AG so I will have to make a mental note of that.

Regarding when to put in the boil - for me as long as it is at the end of the boil - like in the last 10 min somewhere it works out just fine.

Pardon my ignorance and please correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't adding sucrose without decreasing the amount of extract result in the same dryness just at a higher alcohol content? You are not changing the amount of non-fermentables so why would the yeast dry it out more? I would think that in order to dry it out more you would want to sub sucrose in place of some extract in order to reduce the amount of non-fermentables. Right?

I would recommend cutting back your DME and adding .5# of dextrose to it to keep the same ABV %.

I also recommend 1 packet of yeast and a starter.

Also, move the 15 minute additions lower in the boil and shoot for45-50 IBU's with those hops. I think you'll appreciate the outcome a bit more. That galaxy really pops at a lower IBU.

The two packets are perfect for fermenting this beer, just make sure to rehydrate them per their instructions before pitching on brewday.

As for the sugar, you can basically add it any time during the boil, but an earlier addition may caramelize more. I'm not sure if that flavorful will noticeably carry trough, though.

I agree that adding sugar to your recipe will make a drier beer with more body than if you were to substitute the sugar for some LME. In other words, if you want to keep your posted recipe but make it drier, switch out LME for sugar and pay attention to your estimated FG to get it about where you would like it.

Cheers!

well I brewed it. I was in the middle of the brew process when I started this thread so I added .5lb of sugar with 10 minutes left. My OG was 1.096 so we'll see what happens.

well I brewed it. I was in the middle of the brew process when I started this thread so I added .5lb of sugar with 10 minutes left. My OG was 1.096 so we'll see what happens.

What's going to happen is you getting drunk off a big a$$ beer...lol. That is a whopper.

I'm preparing myself for a massive explosion in my fermentation chamber :rockin:

Back