Sugar as an ingredient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pietrach

Reaction score
Could you briefly explain to me what are the main reasons for adding sugar to wort? I don’t mean sugar from grain bill, but an actual sugar.
If this is a fermentable sugar should it be counted towards the OG with the rest of the grain bill, or is it added on top of the OG? What does it actually give? If it is fermentable I guess it will add ABV and no or very little sweetens. But is the ABV the only reason?
If this is unfermentable sugar then it will increase the body and sweetness. Is this the only reason? How do we account for it in the recipe and OG calculation?
Thank you

For the most part, only Belgian beers add sugar to the wort. It is completely fermentable, so it boosts the ABV while keeping the body down. Makes it "more digestable" as they say. Sometimes small amounts are added to other beers to dry them out a little more.

Cane sugar adds a lot of fermentables, you can add 46 points per lb per gallon (PPG). So if you add one lb of sugar to 5 gallons of beer you are increasing the gravity by 46 * 1 / 5 = 0.005.

On the flip side, adding maltodextrin adds almost no fermentables (maybe 5%). So you can add 4-6 oz to increase the mouthfeel and increase the finished gravity. Note that some people's gut can digest the sugars that yeast cannot (maltodextrine), so you end up with beer farts :)

table sugar is 100% fermentable, it won't leave anything behind except alcohol. that allows you to thin out a beer - for example, instead of needing 12 pounds of malt to get to 6% abv, you can use 10 pounds of malt and a pound of sugar (i'm making up numbers here). because the second beer has less malt in it, it won't be as thick/malty/chewy/etc. think of the difference between an american barleywine and and imperial IPA - the IIPA can be identical to the BW except that it has sugar to thin out the body.

some more answers here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Sucrose (but ignore the last "cider taste" part, that's been proven false)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/question-about-table-sugar-ingredient-218991/

Yes, it is purely just to up alcohol without adding sweetness or malt flavor (though I think I remember that you add it in near the beginning of the boil if you want to add body, near the end if you dont).

You also see this done with some imperial/double IPAs to keep it more hop forward and not too balanced.

But I probably wouldn't up it more than a percentage or 2 or itt nay end up tasting boozy with no malt to help mask the alcohol.

Big IPA's sure, but I personally would not want table sugar in my RIS. I guess I have seen some examples that use candi syrup, Surly Darkness for example, but I would lean on that as a flavor addition rather than a ABV booster.

Some good examples here, but almost alll of the major brewing traditions/ countries pretty regularly used and use sugars for some beer styles; Germany being the big exception to the rule, but even there sugars have been allowed per the 1993 Biergesetz (where the actual laws with "teeth" applicable to German production reside; not the "Rheinheitsgebot" as you often hear people say) for top-fermenting beers ("ales" in the American nomenclature).

Sugar servers two primary purposes and one secondary purpose:
-Increasing fermentability of wort, which decreases FG and results in a drier, more refreshing beer
-Adding nuanced flavor additions (obviously simple white sugar additions such as table sugar or dextrose won't serve this purpose)

-It also does boost the alcohol more than adding more malt extracted sugars as simple sugars are more fermentable

Everyone always focuses on the Belgians as having a big tradition of using sugars both to dry out a beer and to add more flavor and rightfully so as they showcase the practice the most (and Dubbel wouldn't be a Dubbel without it; same should be said for a Tripel), BUT the English have long used sugars in many of their beer styles (yes there were a few years there where sugar use was illegal in Britain but it didn't last that long in the general scheme of things) and as has already been pointed out on this thread, West Coast IPAs and Double/Imperial IPAs use / need highly fermentable sugars to result in a lower FG and higher bitterness levels. -On that 2nd note: The primary thing that drives decreased hop utilization in the boil is often listed as "wort gravity", but it's not actually wort gravity, but protein content that drives the decreased hop utilization; sugar additions do not add protein, only additional starting gravity points and wort that has more simple sugars in it will result in more IBUs remaining in the finished beer. (Just saw John Palmer present this last Friday @ Hop and Brew School at Hop Union in Yakima, WA.)

Simple sugars also have their place in ultra strong beers and as priming solutions for bottle conditioning as it is easier for yeast to consume simple sugars; sometimes after a high alcohol fermentation yeast are only capable of consuming mono or diglycerides; you can see this practice of incrementally feeding yeast very simple sugars late in fermentation with many insanely strong beers such as Boston Beer's Utopius.

As a beer culture many US brewers have a knee-jerk negative reaction to the use of sugars in brewing as we've seen flavor and quality degraded by the macro breweries over decades by replacing malt sugar with simple sugars from a variety of other sources, but sugar certainly has it's place and CAN make beers better; some styles couldn't exist without it.

Don't let beer making philosophy / dogma prevent you from making your beer the best it can be; sugar additions are one tool of many that we utilize in the pursuit of beer making perfection.

Adam
P.S. I don't think I would ever use simple, flavorless sugar in a RIS, either. High FG is supposed to be present in a RIS, IMHO.

As a mildly related subject:

The German tradition controls fermentability/finishing gravity / dryness closely through mash temperatures and times and by analyzing the malt spec sheets in detail. Rather than adding sugar to dry out the beer they can mash at multiple steps with multiple rests. Traditional German brewing equipment is well suited to this type of brewing as Mash Mixers accelerate the rate of conversion and steam jacketing make it easy to quickly ramp through various temp steps.

You don't see strong, dry beers in Germany, though because the Biergesetz says that you can't use sugars in lagers. Even with closely controlling mash temps and times and fermentation a Belgian-triple like bock just wouldn't be possible in Germany (ignore the yeast flavor reasons for now) because of the prohibition on brewing sugars in lager bier.

You also see a focus on predicting and monitoring finishing gravity in German brewing tradition -making sure that fermentation is controlled and you get that nice crisp, low gravity finish to a beer. Lager yeasts can also ferment maltotriose, which helps take just an extra point, maybe two from the FG of the beer.

very common in traditional British brewing as well, as biertourist pointed out. I tend to add a touch (roughly 10%) to my british pales/bitters.

What said above! Some darker invert is good for flavour or some adjunct for clean alcohol (maize or rice, e.g.). Very typical for classic British styles from pale ale to stout passing via mild too.

Back