Sugar and yeast during fermentation with BS2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenBoneBrew

Reaction score
Just downloaded the trail version of Beer Smith 2. I'm doing the Dema Goddess Barley Wine recipe and I'm trying to add the sugar and yeast into BS2 that is needed during fermentation. I try adding it and it affects the O.G. after the boil. Is there where I'm missing to add this so it doesnt affect the O.G.? Thanks.

Link to recipe: Dema-Goddess Ale (14-16% ABV!) [Extract] [Archive] - HomeBrewChatter.com Home Brew Forum - Community Driven Beer Homebrewing Forums

Well, I think I'm missing something because no matter WHEN you add it, it does affect the OG ultimately. If you don't want it to "show" when you're brewing, so you can check the OG then, you can always add it later.

I'm trying to tell BS2 that I want to add sugar and yeast into the recipe during fermentation, so that it does not affect the OG calculations right after the boil. I cant seem to find a way to do that.

there is a check box for sugar additions to "Add after Boil"

the only other OG reading you should see is PreBoil which shouldn't be affected by the sugar addition

Just tried adding the 8oz of sugar that goes in during the primary fermentation and it start the est OG. I think "after the boil" is for when you add sugar to the wort just before you pitch the yeast. I guess that feature is there if you did not get the OG that you wanted and throw some more sugar in to adjust.

I'm thinking that there needs to be a place to add sugar during the fermentation stages.

Just tried adding the 8oz of sugar that goes in during the primary fermentation and it start the est OG. I think "after the boil" is for when you add sugar to the wort just before you pitch the yeast. I guess that feature is there if you did not get the OG that you wanted and throw some more sugar in to adjust.

I'm thinking that there needs to be a place to add sugar during the fermentation stages.

i guess i'm not following exactly what you are looking to do

whether its added before pitching or during fermentation it's going to increase the OG the same

if you want to keep track of when they are added you can always enter the time/day you added in the description

Well the OG is after the boil and before the pitching of the yeast, correct? Then I add sugar and yeast through out the fermenting process. Doing this would case small peaks and valleys of the specif gravity of the beer during the fermentation if you plotted the specif gravity vs time. I guess I could pretend add all the sugar during the boil and only measure the OG and FG.

Well the OG is after the boil and before the pitching of the yeast, correct? Then I add sugar and yeast through out the fermenting process. Do this would case small peaks and valleys of the specif gravity of the beer during the fermentation if you plotted the specif gravity vs time. I guess I could pretend add all the sugar during the boil and only measure the OG and FG.

Well, I don't tend to plot the peaks and valleys of the SG during fermentation.

I take a preboil SG and and post boil OG. That should compare just fine with Beersmith. Then click on the sugars to add the sugars, and you get the "new" OG so you can calculate ABV, and check the FG when it's done. I guess none of us are able to see the issue here.

I don't "get" adding more yeast during the fermentation process either. Sure, you add more yeast. But that doesn't affect the OG, the FG, or anything else in Beersmith.

I think the recipe is sort of silly- three yeast additions? and not a great recipe, but that's not Beersmith's fault. That's Sam's doing.

Wanting to charting the peaks and valleys of the specif gravity is the engineer side of me. It seems to me that when ever sugar is added that the specif gravity will change and should be recorded.

I do agree that the addition of yeast is not going to affect the specif gravity of a recipe. The second addition of yeast was distillers yeast and was to take over at the higher ABV during fermentation.

Trust me, I had no idea what I was in for when I bought this kit. It's been a fun one thou.

Back