Sudden floating chunks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRapp

Reaction score
Ok, so I made my 1st all cider about 3 months ago, an English dry.

Had it in primary bucket maybe a 2 months, transferred over to secondary carboy and it was not only super tasty, but crystal clear. I mean crazy clear, very little sediment moved with it(im a beer brewer). Pop a T-shirt onto it and forget about it for maybe 2-4 weeks.

Look at it last week, find some thin white floaties, as well as subtle whitish film on the side of the carboy above the liquid line. PANIC! It smells fine, really fine. I dont have time to think about it so i toss it into my fridge, turn the temp down.

1 week later and that is where it is now. Still smells ok. What to do? I doubt it randomly decided to create a thin white film without an introduction to another bacteria. I know that cider does not take much to turn to vinegar, can it be saved? Can I toss in a tab to halt all bacterial growth? I am new into this realm so any and all advice would be great.
Gimmie options!

Thanks!

If you toss in a campden tab yes it should work but you may upset the beasties in the process..if you do I would check the ph after a day or so then add some nutrient and maybe some energiser and see if fermentation picks back up..if not pitch some more yeast or bottle it

Personally I would wait and see..if it gets looking funky I would rack it and see if I can save it

Latest posts

Back