Sucking on hop cones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vellum

Reaction score
So I've been growing hop bines for two years now and I just love picking a fresh hop and sucking on it for about a half hour. Anyone else try it? Intensely bitter but you notice the flavor differences in each variety.

So I've been growing hop bines for two years now and I just love picking a fresh hop and sucking on it for about a half hour. Anyone else try it? Intensely bitter but you notice the flavor differences in each variety.

lol. Can you even taste anything after that?

I bet your killing your taste buds! Pretty soon everything will taste like bud light!

or maybe everything will taste like a double IPA? hmm.. got me thinkin' now...

That's where I'd bin it :eek:

True story: I went to college in Denver (early 70s) which is near 'nuff to Golden that my group spent an inordinate amount of time in the Coors hospitality room (after the mandatory tour) digging on the beers that never made it out of the brewery.

After months of this we could do the tour blind-folded...while being bored stiff.
One day I made the tragic "I'm bored" mistake of snatching a healthy pinch of hops (they were still using pressed cones back then) and masticating on it for awhile.

That messed me up so badly I couldn't get within arm's reach of a beer for the next two years, the aroma alone was enough to make me gag.
So I switched to Crown Royal. Had quite the collection of purple felt bags at the end, when I could finally drink a beer again.

Don't do that.

Cheers!

Different strokes I guess. Some people might like drinking lighter fluid. Or an 80 IBU brew. Pretty much the same thing :)

Someone said they made hop flavored ice cream. Ill try that, but sucking on hop cones, damn thats some advanced next level stuff.

I made the mistake recently of eating a small piece of pellet. I don't remember the variety, but I think it was mosaic. I'm a quick learner. I'll never do that again. I don't believe I'll be throwing a whole cone in my mouth anytime....ever. :confused:

Bahahahahahahaha. I can't tell if the OP was being serious or if he was like, "Ha, lets see how many suckers I can trick into doing this!" (Pardon the pun). This is pretty funny. I grow hops at home and I can't honestly say I've ever even been TEMPTED to do this, and I don't plan to anytime soon.

I'm being serious. The first year I wasn't tempted but this year I was wondering if I could taste the difference between the two different varieties. It definitely burns your taste buds a bit for an hour or so. I'll do a cascade on one side for a bit then do a willow creek on the other side of my mouth. You can definitely taste a difference.

I don't enjoy hop pellets or dried hops but do enjoy the wet hops. Guess it is just me though.

Congratulation to you, 30min is impressive.

I have broke hops in half to taste for bitterness before. Usually just touching the broken hop with my tongue results in a lasting bitter taste so I had to try a whole hop. A whole columbus cone between the cheek and gum, 5min easy could of gone longer, but I was sort of just letting it sit there. Tried a chinook hop cone, it did taste different, same thing for about 5min so thought ok let see if you can really suck on these things. Nope, well not me at least. A shot glass amount of milk pretty much removed the bitterness.

My harvest is done I can send you my measuring bowl incase you want lick the bowl.
img_0270---copy1-68366.jpg

Congratulation to you, 30min is impressive.

I have broke hops in half to taste for bitterness before. Usually just touching the broken hop with my tongue results in a lasting bitter taste so I had to try a whole hop. A whole columbus cone between the cheek and gum, 5min easy could of gone longer, but I was sort of just letting it sit there. Tried a chinook hop cone, it did taste different, same thing for about 5min so thought ok let see if you can really suck on these things. Nope, well not me at least. A shot glass amount of milk pretty much removed the bitterness.

My harvest is done I can send you my measuring bowl incase you want lick the bowl.
img_0270---copy1-68366.jpg

While I appreciate the offer I have plenty of my own hops to enjoy. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one curious enough to have a taste

Y'all know you can buy CO2 hop extract in syringes, for when you need a quick fix, right?

(I licked my finger after dismantling one of the syringes to try and clean it out for use for dosing lactic acid into the mash. Don't do that)

Y'all know you can buy CO2 hop extract in syringes, for when you need a quick fix, right?

(I licked my finger after dismantling one of the syringes to try and clean it out for use for dosing lactic acid into the mash. Don't do that)

Now that sounds painful. I'll have to work my way up to one of those. "Nurse! Just put it in my iv! I bleed lupulin!!!"

I did chew on one petal from my Sterling when I was picking them earlier. That was a useful measure of the flavor.

I just love picking a fresh hop and sucking on it for about a half hour. Anyone else try it?

I do that. I grow Willamette in my yard, and I absolutely eat raw cones.
Reading the comments here, I kid you not, I am actually floored that no other home brewers besides you and I like this idea.
I must just love hops. I think NEIPA amounts of hops are a baseline. LOL
Most of my 5-gallon batches have at least 8 oz of hops.
I have chewed on hop pellets like tobacco for years.
I typically always eat a cone or a pellet on brew day.
I'll leave fresh hops in my cheek while drinking an IPA, while brewing an IPA.
I'm not saying I deserve a badge for it, I'm not trying to sound "extreme" - it's just my taste preference. Some people eat avocado pits. Some like pineapple on pizza. I'm a little weird too, I guess.

I find it hilarious that people react to the idea as if I was pouring motor oil in my mouth. It's like, you realize it's just a concentrated amount of something you actually like, right? You know, like if you enjoy sweet tea, you wouldn't balk at the idea of having a spoonful of honey or sugar.

Whatever. To each their own.

Before brewing, I took a hops supplement, with my daily vitamins and pills. Now, instead of buying the supplement, I just down a hop pellet daily, cheaper then the supplement, and I know what's in it...

Hops have been used traditionally for nervous system support. They have heart-shaped leaves and cone-like flowers. Romans ate young Hops shoots in the spring in the same way we do asparagus. Hops were first used by breweries in the Netherlands in the early fourteenth century.

http://amzn.to/2f64SW2

I do that. I grow Willamette in my yard, and I absolutely eat raw cones.
Reading the comments here, I kid you not, I am actually floored that no other home brewers besides you and I like this idea.
I must just love hops. I think NEIPA amounts of hops are a baseline. LOL
Most of my 5-gallon batches have at least 8 oz of hops.
I have chewed on hop pellets like tobacco for years.
I typically always eat a cone or a pellet on brew day.
I'll leave fresh hops in my cheek while drinking an IPA, while brewing an IPA.
I'm not saying I deserve a badge for it, I'm not trying to sound "extreme" - it's just my taste preference. Some people eat avocado pits. Some like pineapple on pizza. I'm a little weird too, I guess.

I find it hilarious that people react to the idea as if I was pouring motor oil in my mouth. It's like, you realize it's just a concentrated amount of something you actually like, right? You know, like if you enjoy sweet tea, you wouldn't balk at the idea of having a spoonful of honey or sugar.

Whatever. To each their own.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I'm going to try the fresh hop in my cheek while drinking an IPA idea.

Latest posts

Back