Sucked air into the bottling bucket ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boscobeans

Reaction score
I was siphoning into the bottling bucket and walked away for a few minutes..

When I came back there was a stream of air getting sucked in where the auto-siphon connects to my tubing.:mad:

I took a quick sample and the beer still had a fair amount of carbonation.

Any ideas ?

bosco

Any ideas about what? Sounds like you found a leak in the siphon/tubing, so you should fix it for next time. And I wouldn't walk away during the siphoning, a burp of air can cause the tubing to jump and next thing you know you'll be siphoning beer onto your kitchen floor.

The beer will have some residual CO2 following fermentation but shouldn't be carbonated at this point. So not sure what you're asking... The introduction of air to the beer will oxidize it slowly as it ages. This makes the beer taste flat or stale (a lot of people say like wet cardboard) but it's completely unrelated to carbonation.

By "fair amount of carbonation", I meant that there was still some CO2 in the beer that had not completely off-gassed.

I'm going to bottle it and use some oxygen absorbing caps. Will see what happens.

bosco

Gotcha. Oxidation should be a much bigger concern than losing CO2, but either way I bet you're fine. RDWHAHB and all that... if it tastes a little oxidized in a few weeks just drink it quick before it gets worse!

I bottled a few PET bottles along with the rest of them and will check as the time goes by.

Thanks Zachattack

bosco

I bottled a few PET bottles along with the rest of them and will check as the time goes by.

Thanks Zachattack

bosco

I started filling a PET bottle (seltzer bottle) from each batch, I'm gonna make a habit of it. It's great to be able to see how carbonation's progressing without chilling/drinking a bottle :mug:

Back