Suck back from blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadDeacon

Reaction score
Hey folks, just had something new happen to me. Went to go move my fermenter into the kitchen for bottling tomorrow and didn't realize that the tube had some suckback that when I moved the catch bucket got sucked back into the fermenter. I had filled the catch with starsan 3 weeks ago and it is cloudy from yeast and blowoff funk. I am assuming that I am ok. I smelled the fermenter after I got it into the kitchen and it smelled fine.

Fermenter was in garage and it hasn't gotten above 40 for 2 days. Whick caused the suckback I think...

Thoughts???

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416025664.400826.jpg

Here is a pic. Upper cloudy horizon is from the suckback. If it's there in the am (gravity difference???) then I will just rack from under that horizon.

Two thoughts.
- I use vodka in my airlocks for this reason. Worst case scenario you boost your ABV! That doesn't help for your blow off tube or costs a lot of money, but might be an option if you switch from blow-off to airlock after a few days.
- I've heard (and someone may correct me on this) that suckback can be caused by temperature swings causing a pressure difference. Since it's in your garage, maybe this artic blast got the best of you?

Well, it evened out over the night and I bottled everything still smelt and tasted ok. We shall see I guess.....

Latest posts

Back