Success (Saison+bugs)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wahoo

Reaction score
Several months ago, i made a starter with the dregs of a number of beers, including Hannsens and Boon Gueuze, Bruery Saison Rue, Allagash Interlude, Saison duPont, etc. I let it ferment out and used it to innoculate a lambic, but in the meanwhile...

I had a leftover liter of saison that was in the fermenter after I kegged it. I put it in a huge swingtop bottle, added a little sugar, and a bit of the dregs from my bug farm....

That sat in my basement for about 3 months or so. I opened it this weekend and it was terrific. Very effervesent, lovely funk, not a ton of sourness, mostly brett aroma. Next year I think I will intentionally contaminate half my saison batch, it was really nice.

cool. Thanks for sharing.

Just curious, how big of a starter and did you go through all those sours at once?

I did go through all those sours in one day but I had a good amount of help from some buddies. I think my starter was about 1L, which frankly was too large. It took a number of days before it showed any signs of life and I think it would have been better around half that size or even less, and then add more wort once it got going. But all turned out well....

What was the FG of your fermented saison before adding the sugar, and how much sugar did you add?

Your sour/funky drinking party sounds awesome

The FG was a very dry 1.004. I am actually not sure off the top of my head how much sugar I added. I think it was probably something like 4-5 grams.

Back