Subtitute for honey malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heineken

Reaction score
My LBHS was out of honey malt. Can I substitute plain honey for the honey malt? Recipe called for .25 lbs of honey malt. If so, how much honey should I use?

honey is not a replacement. Real honey ferments out completely and leaves a drier beer, honey malt doesn't ferment completely, and leaves a honey like sweetness behind.
Not sure what you could sub in its place, maybe some crystal 15 or 20.

maybe use some honey and a little lactose or dextrin malt to keep the body.

Nothing will substitute for honey malt. You could make the batch and steep the honey malt when you can get some.

DO NOT USE HONEY! Honey is nearly completely fermentable. It will go mostly to alcohol and not leave much residual sweetness. Yes, it will leave some nice honey-esque tones behind, like flowers or orange, etc depending on the type of honey. But it will not leave behind sweetness like honey malt. Honey malt cannot be replaced with honey. I've brewed with both and love the honey malt in small quantities BTW.

I got some good results with honey using it instead of priming sugar when bottling my Honey Wheat. Unlike adding it into the fermenter, priming with honey actually leaves some honey taste and aroma behind. Just heat it up in the microwave for a minute or two to make it more liquid.

I got some good results with honey using it instead of priming sugar when bottling my Honey Wheat. Unlike adding it into the fermenter, priming with honey actually leaves some honey taste and aroma behind. Just heat it up in the microwave for a minute or two to make it more liquid.

This is interesting...how much did you use?

Honey malt is a proprietary name for a widely used German malt called 'Brumalt'.

Melanoiden malt Weyermann's proprietary name for the same thing, so it is a good sub.

Check the stats on both malts and you'll see they're similar.

im not a fan of honey malt at all so i cant help ya.

Cool man thanks for the post.

You probably wont find an EXACT replacement for honey malt because of the unique process by which it is created (from brew-dudes.com, "the process involves restricting the oxygen flow during the sprouting process and this develops sugars and rich malt flavors that makes the malt taste the way it does.")

However, after doing some digging I've found reference to using these three malts as substitutes for honey malt:
Belgian aromatic
CaraVienna
Weyermanns melanoidin

I would investigate those and decide if it's worth substituting rather than waiting for your LHBS to get more. Just know that none of those are going to be exactly the same as Honey Malt.

Back