Substituting liquid yeast with dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zelltj

Reaction score
I live in the Mojave Desert in Southern California and it gets hotter than 2 hamsters playing Twister in a wool sock (trying to keep that PG!) in the summer. I like usuing liquid yeast for most of my beers, but the nearest homebrew shop is over 2 hours away and I don't have time to drive down there often so I order online most of the time.

Anyway... does anyone know if there is a list that shows what dry yeast would be a good substitute for liquid yeast? For example, I know that Ferementis US 05 is a good sub for Wyeast 1056 / WLP 001.

I am aware that there is a much larger variety of liquid yeast. But, for instance., how much of a difference would I notice going from WLP300 to say Safbrew WB-06?

Thanks in advance!!!

Have you looked into yeast washing? You could get plenty of batches from a single yeast vial...into the hundreds if you do it right. Of course, this would require you to be able to acquire the yeast in the first place. Maybe make a bulk-buy trip to lhbs with an ice chest and stock up?

I've thought about it. I've been a little afraid of trying for some reason. I have a 2 and a half year old that takes about just about every spare second I have and it just seemed like one of those things that would take a lot of time. I've never really looked into it thought so I don't actually know how much work is involved.

That's a good start. Maybe I should just use this as an excuse to experiment since this list isn't quite complete! I'll try to do my best to give back to the community.

zelltj said:
I've thought about it. I've been a little afraid of trying for some reason. I have a 2 and a half year old that takes about just about every spare second I have and it just seemed like one of those things that would take a lot of time. I've never really looked into it thought so I don't actually know how much work is involved.

Yup, I've got a 2 year old and a 4 month old, and they're what's been keeping me away from all-grain.

I recently worked out a deal with my in-laws where I am brewing at their house every weekend, and they watch my 4month old. It works out great for everyone, grandma gets time with the baby, grandpa is getting back into brewing again, wife doesn't have to deal with the all-grain smell, and my wort gets to stay at a nice cool 70°.

That's a great link and it definitely demystifies a lot of the process... But how in the hell is that no more time than rehydrating dry yeast?!? :confused:

In addition to your normal process (whether that's a starter or rehydration), all it requires is sanitizing one additional jar.

That illustrated write up makes it look very easy. I've got 2 in primary right now. Maybe I'll give it a shot in a few weeks when I rack to the secondary. I have some mason jars. I don't have a really big one but I have quite a few smaller ones. I might have to have spaghetti in the next week!

Back