Substitute for six lbs NB gold malt extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's a handy-dandy little chart from my lhbs, Jay's, which says 8lbs of base malt replaces 6 lbs of LME

as far as which base malt... NB golden LME is made from pale malt and some carapils, can't go wrong with that (maybe skip the carapils, you may have enough cara/crystal in your recipe), but really, anything works, depends on what you're going for.

you have munich in there, which would work for your base malt, add a toasty bread character. add some vanilla at bottling (a la Pumking) for a graham cracker crust flavor

And do you think he's saying to add the corn sugar straight into my grain bag?

If it were me and I could accommodate the extra malt in my pot, I would substitute base grain for all of the corn sugar... I think that large amount is an attempt to dry out what would otherwise be a pretty sweet recipe with the typical higher FG when using extract. If you eliminate the extract, the beer should be a bit dryer to start off.

If it were me and I could accommodate the extra malt in my pot, I would substitute base grain for all of the corn sugar... I think that large amount is an attempt to dry out what would otherwise be a pretty sweet recipe with the typical higher FG when using extract. If you eliminate the extract, the beer should be a bit dryer to start off.

good call

13.5 lbs base malt, all others stay the same

I did an imperial pumpkin ale a while back, started at 1.117, I added maple syrup and yeast nutrient on day 4, Lyle's Golden Syrup 6 days in, with an additional pitch of yeast, then 1/2 lb of table sugar 8 days in at which point it was 1.018 and I wish it had stayed there

but, it over-attenuated, FG was 1.008, 14.6% ABV with 92% attenuation, made it a barleywine.

Back