Substitute for Lyle's Golden Syrup (AKA pale treacle)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesel_88

Reaction score
Trying a clone recipe for Theakston's Old Peculiar, and it calls for Lyle's Golden Syrup. This is a little expensive and hard to find where I live; does anyone know a substitute? Maybe light corn syrup (or honey) with a bit of molasses?

Thanks!

Try Amber Belgian Candy syrup. That should give you a similar colour and be reasonably close to taste. Golden syrup tends to thicken beer slightly, your corn sugar will just thin it out. That's not what you want if you are doing a bitter.

See if you have any British sections in your supermarket, or look for shops run by people from Commonwealth countries. Shops such as Indian shops, Aussie or New Zealand. They are bound to have some in. May cost you a little, but still.

Alternatively, I will check the postage from here to Alabama. It may be ridiculous charges, but I will still look for you. It's about £1 a tin to buy. So it's the delivery that would be the bugger.

If you want to try more a do-it-yourself approach, read here: http://www.unholymess.com/blog/beer-brewing-info/making-brewers-invert

I tried this method with a recipe for Old Peculier and it came out very well. It past the taste test of an English friend who grew up on OP. I believe I made the No3 or darker. I compared my batch with the commercial version here in the States, which of course, Old Peculier could have been months older than mine and I felt the differences were negligible at best.

Latest posts

Back