Substitute for Belgian Candi Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noslenwerd

Reaction score
I am making a Raging ***** clone (Belgian IPA), and would like to try using a different sugar. It is only .5lbs in a 5.5 gallon batch.

Would Demerara or Turbinado work well? Planned on adding with 5 min left in the boil.

Thanks!

Plain table sugar works just fine, but either of those would work fine too.

I like raging ***** a lot. But yeah, I think plain sugar would be your best bet here. I'm assuming from the taste of that beer that it's the clear candy sugar, which is basically a racket anyway. Any light sugar would work, however.

billl is right. Just plain table is fine. The others will add a slight amount of color and flavor but they would work well. I use turbinado alot.

Which recipe are you using?

I just brewed this one: Raging ***** Clone.
It has no mention of sugar.

To be honest I don't remember the site at this point.. but here is the recipe I am using.

p5fh0.jpg

To be honest I don't remember the site at this point.. but here is the recipe I am using. [...]

Yours is probably as good as the other one or better. I still have some unanswered questions about the one I brewed, mainly the IBUs. I saw 20-some recipes on BrewToad to compare, and more than a few were totally off the wall. <rant>I'm starting to hate that site. Too much polution/convolution/here's-mine-with-no-notes.</rant>

After a month in the primary it finished at 1.021. The taste is good (before dry hopping) but too sweet. 1.018 was the target, although 1.014 sounds more where it should be, judging from the original. So I'm going to heat it up and hope to resume it. I may even juggle some yeast :D

I used WY3522 (Belgian Ardennes) which is highly flocculating and formed a cement-like pad on the bottom. Given I kept the temps a bit low (62) and forgot to ramp it up toward the end.

Why the Warrior at 5 min? It doesn't add much aroma or flavor, compared to all the Amarillo and Chinook.
Your 9.4% is higher than FD lists (8.3%).

Flying Dog specs:
ABV: 8.3%
IBU: 60
Specialty Malts: 60L
Hops: Warrior, Columbus, Amarillo
Yeast: El Diablo

Yours is probably as good as the other one or better. I still have some unanswered questions about the one I brewed, mainly the IBUs. I saw 20-some recipes on BrewToad to compare, and more than a few were totally off the wall. <rant>I'm starting to hate that site. Too much polution/convolution/here's-mine-with-no-notes.</rant>

After a month in the primary it finished at 1.021. The taste is good (before dry hopping) but too sweet. 1.018 was the target, although 1.014 sounds more where it should be, judging from the original. So I'm going to heat it up and hope to resume it. I may even juggle some yeast :D

I used WY3522 (Belgian Ardennes) which is highly flocculating and formed a cement-like pad on the bottom. Given I kept the temps a bit low (62) and forgot to ramp it up toward the end.

Why the Warrior at 5 min? It doesn't add much aroma or flavor, compared to all the Amarillo and Chinook.
Your 9.4% is higher than FD lists (8.3%).

Flying Dog specs:
ABV: 8.3%
IBU: 60
Specialty Malts: 60L
Hops: Warrior, Columbus, Amarillo
Yeast: El Diablo

Not really sure why the Warrior@5min... I just took down the recipe verbatim from the site.

We did a side by side comparison with this recipe, and the original raging ***** and this was DAMN close. I think I got the right yeast, right grain bill, but the hops were just a tiny bit off.

I would just make a simple syrup from table sugar and then heat it do the proper range with a candi thermometer for a medium candy syrup. It adds more than just fermentables, a nice toffee flavor from the caramelizing.

I would just make a simple syrup from table sugar and then heat it do the proper range with a candi thermometer for a medium candy syrup. It adds more than just fermentables, a nice toffee flavor from the caramelizing.

I don't think the Raging ***** needs caramel or toffee :D
She's a Belgian IPA.

Back