Substitute for 120L

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newgene

Reaction score
I don't have any 120L, and I wanted to brew a batch tomorrow that calls for a little over a half pound of 120. I was thinking about using 60L, but adding in a few ounces of black patent. I have black patent, carafa III, chocolate malt, and roasted barley.

Could I make a substitution that lets me use the 60L? I don't care how exact it looks. Beersmith is saying from a color standpoint, an 85/15 is close to a 100% 120L color, if I use black patent or carafa III. This is for an imperial IPA, so most of the flavor is coming from the hops.

Would you hold off until you have the 120?

Each crystal has its own characteristics, that's why they sell so many different ones. If it was all about color, they would sell only 120 and you would just adjust the amount you use for color.

60L is more sweet and caramel flavors. 120L Is more toffee/raisin.
I say go for it, but it wont be what your recipe is going for. It will still make a good beer.

Each crystal has its own characteristics, that's why they sell so many different ones. If it was all about color, they would sell only 120 and you would just adjust the amount you use for color.

60L is more sweet and caramel flavors. 120L Is more toffee/raisin.
I say go for it, but it wont be what your recipe is going for. It will still make a good beer.

Good point. I'm wondering if I should just take the 60L, moisten it very lightly and bake it around 375 for 45 minutes or so. I just want to roast it more than what I have now, and then I'll sub it one for one. I have to roast some 2-row anyway because I don't have the victory/biscuit. So, I could always just roast the 60L and use it however it comes out.

Back