Styrofoam looking head????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H2opunk182

Reaction score
So my beer is in the secondary and seemed fine for the past few days.. i go down to the basement to check on another beer, and it has a white foamy head that looks like styrofoam??.. i tried looking it up and can't find anything.. should i be worried or just bottle it on sat and forget that this happened.. Ill post a picture tomorrow when my phones not dead.

There's nothing wrong here. Wait until the specific gravity stops changing and the beer has cleared, then bottle. Do not fear the foam.

I recently used a yeast that was off the normal I use for stouts. I had the same thing go on, those nutty yeast are getting busy. Stick with your target fg and bottle a way. My stout turned out great.

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply guys. I was just worried b/c ive seen plenty of krausen.. But never like this.. its right at the target fg, so hopefully all goes well

I have the same thing in my primary now, I attributed it to the starsan. I am sure it will be fine.

Billy

RDWHAHB. I had a mini freak out about a lager a couple months ago and was almost ready to scrap it and start over. It turned out to be the best beer I've made since I started brewing earlier this year.

After how long in primary did you rack it? It sounds like you racked too soon, or racked without check to see if gravity was stuck, and it is re-krausening and still needing to ferment.... Next time make sure that fermentation is truly complete before racking it. No point in taking it off the yeast best suited to finished the job, before the job is done. It's like having your local highshool JV squad trying to win the Superbowl in the 4th quarter.

Back