Styles for introductory beer tasting party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I will be hosting a beer tasting party for my friends (most of whom know very little about beer). I want to try a "beers of the world" type event with six different styles from six different countries focusing on the iconic brew of the country. Additionally, I want to stay away from overlap such as having an American IPA and an English IPA

What six countries and what style of beer from each country would you choose for this introductory tasting?

For beginners I'd go with:

German Hefeweizen
Belgian Saison
Czech Pilsner
American Amber (or Pale Ale)
English Brown
Irish Stout

Reasons:
- Classic examples from important beer countries
- All styles you can find classic examples of at a good local beer shop
- All fairly approachable flavors with low abv's
- Lots of flavor variety (nice "light to dark" range, nice "neutral to defining" yeast characteristic range, and some "non-hoppy to moderately hoppy" range)

How many people are you going to have at your party? I'd want more than a couple ounces of beer for each person, so I'd go with more styles (maybe some countries get multiple styles), but if we're sticking to six, I would go with:

Belgian Tripel
ESB
American IPA
Vienna Lager or Marzen
Dry Irish Stout
A sour or lambic (not Lindemanns)

How many people are you going to have at your party? I'd want more than a couple ounces of beer for each person.

There will be about 10 to 15 people. Since everyone will have to drive, I am doing 6 4oz pours over 30 minutes with about a 15 minute introduction to the ingredients and process of brewing. That gives people a total of 2 drinks over 45 minutes. Apps will be served with the beer and dinner will be afterwards which should give people who are lightweights a chance to sober up.

EDIT: You may be right on upping the number of samples. 8 4oz pours wouldn't be so bad.

For beginners I'd go with:

German Hefeweizen
Belgian Saison
Czech Pilsner
American Amber (or Pale Ale)
English Brown
Irish Stout

I think this is the list!!!

If you were going to change it to eight I would add a blonde and an ESB. Not sure what country they would come from, perhapse Belgian and England again? This takes away from your 1 beer 1 country idea though....

Back