style suggestion - parting gift for office

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwill07

Reaction score
so my company announced last week that we are ceasing operations at my location. Effective in January, they will be laying everyone off. It sucks, but it is pretty awesome that we have plenty of advanced warning.

I'd like to make a batch of beer as a going away gift to everyone. I figure I can do a 5 gallon batch and get ~48 beers. With 20 or 30 folks in the office, everyone will be able to grab a couple.

I don't know what this beer should be. Any suggestions?

Here's some key metrics:
* target brew date will probably be around Thanksgiving.
* target serve by date will be Jan 30. Lagers are probably out.
* office is composed of R&D for retail security
* capacity: I can handle up to 12 lbs of grain in a 5 gallon batch

Thoughts?

Sorry about the circumstances, but it sounds like you're making the best of it.

Wide appeal can be tricky. I imagine something like Cream Of Three Crops might be tame enough for the unwashed masses you may be dealing with.

Or you could go a totally different direction and make a Christmas Ale...

Cheers! (and Good Luck!)

Probably something lighter. Kölsch or a cream ale would appeal to the masses. Maybe an ESB would work also.

Good luck.

Too bad about the job.

It depends. What do they consider "beer"?

I am going to say BM's Centennial Blonde, personally. But if the group as a whole is more a Bud Light swilling type, then Cream Of Three Crops cream ale.

Both cream of 3 crops and centennial blonde are mild enough to appeal to the BMC crowd while still tasty enough for those who like "real" beer. But I also kinda like the idea of a Christmas ale...

If it were me I'd go with an American Amber. You can make it hoppy if you want, Like Troegs Nugget Nectar, or you can make it more of a mild ale. Ambers have a nice malt balance to them and they're good for most any time of year.

Good luck finding a new job. I went through a buyout a few years ago and got laid off around the same time as you, Feb 1st, finding a job wasn't too hard here in the DC area but it took long enough! Best of luck to you man.

I have found that lightly drinking Belgians are far and away are received most widely among anything I make. I try to make my IPAs with veyr little bitterness, but they still arent for everyone. Not everyone likes the banana and clove of german wheats, but so far I have not found a single person that didnt enjoy a saison. I would steer clear of anything remotely hoppy if around half of your workplace arent hop fans and are likely wine drinkers

I brewed 6 beers for a wedding a year ago. I had a pale ale, a hefe, an american wheat, a saison, a porter, and a cream ale.

Guess what was gone first?

Bitter Dregs Dampfbier. My dampfbier is light colored & tasty without being too malty or hoppy. The recipe is in my drop down under my avatar.
Here's a pic of it;

I'm not afraid of giving away beer that tastes like beer. If people would rather drink MBC, they are welcome to.

Thinking about things a little more, I want something high alcohol that doesn't take too long to get ready. I'd prefer to stay away from the DIPA or RIS, as I don't think there are a whole lot of hopheads in the office.

dude, ill say it again, saison. The last 4 ive made were entirely ready 2 weeks after bottling/kegging and around 7% abv

There's a number of ones floating around the recipe section that people seem to do well with. I have 6 or 7 good ones I could PM you if you dont see anything you like there

The great thing about them is that they require no temperature control at all. I let mine free rise and then bump them into the 90s.

There's a number of ones floating around the recipe section that people seem to do well with. I have 6 or 7 good ones I could PM you if you dont see anything you like there

The great thing about them is that they require no temperature control at all. I let mine free rise and then bump them into the 90s.

I do have a temp controlled fermentation chamber, but don't have the ability to heat it. i could easily wire it to heat though.

Temp control isn't an issue for me.

ehh, theres basically only one saison strain that is notorious for requiring heating to finish up. Most every other saison yeast ive tried will chew through anything. I like insulating the fermentor with a hevay winter jacket and itll get to 80 or more. If you do end up doing one, just let it free rise to get the most out of the yeast's esters. There's a ton of great yeast choices.

Back