Stupid question re: FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
If you let a commercial beer go flat and test the gravity, is that a true representation of what the FG of the beer is/was?

Yep... otherwise it wouldn't be the final gravity.

Of course, this tells you nothing if it's a blend (like Yuengling's Black & Tan). Similarly, if they bottle condition there may be a tiny (tiny) amount of play due to the fermentables used to carb, but this is supposedly around a 0.003 difference.

I said it was a stupid question... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

I guess it was me that was missing something obvious - I thought you were trying to determine the OG - for which you would need the ABV.

Carry on.

It's still helpful advice, though. With the FG and ABV, you can derive the OG. In the states, beer percentages listed on the bottle must be accurate within 0.3%, by law... so you won't get the hardest numbers imaginable, but a very useful guideline if you're trying to fill out a clone recipe.

Back