Stupid DME mistake!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceyaquarius

Reaction score
Hadn't brewed for about a year, used a Belgian Wit Brewer's Best clone kit.

Wasn't paying attention and I poured in the liquid DME into the hot water when it was actually time to steep the grains. No way to fix it at that point, so I continued the rest of the recipe as usual, steeping the grains for 30 min, then adding the dry DME. (As in the below image, it was one container of liquid DME)

Stupid mistake, first time I ever did this one, but is the beer going to taste different? No way was I going to throw it out as it wouldn't save any $ anyway.

So, you steeped your specialty grains in sugar water instead of just water? If you did it again the other way around, I doubt you could tell the two apart. Just carry on, it'll be fine. Welcome back. I'll be starting brewing again after a 3 year gap, I hope I can do as well as you have.

I agree with Ancient.
If you ever do that again , you could prolly just get the water with the "liquid DME" (that's LME for the rest of us ;) started heating for the boil, and steep the grains in a 1/2 gal of water in another pot. Then add them together when the steeping is finished. ....multitasking!

Latest posts

Back