stuck pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcalisi

Reaction score
So this saturday I did my first all grain of Ed's pale ale. Besides a few mishaps I ended up with right at 5 gallons of 1.061 sweet wort . so @ 7:30 pm I pitch my nottingham yeast (dry) and put it to bed in the fermentor freezer at 67 degrees. I checked it today with no activity and after taking a reading it moved maybe to 1.059 however temp variance could account for this... so today I just hit it with about 45 seconds of o2 and pitched another nottingham packet. Should I be concerned or is there another recall that I'm not aware of for their yeast. :(

I just used a recent package/vacuum packed of Notty and it worked fine @ 61F. O2 is not needed when pitching a rehydrated package of dry yeast like Danstar or Fermentis. My Notty took 18 hours to show a highly visible Krausen but little bubbles were evident earlier. I normally don't even check however it was my first use of Notty.

So was it the newer vac package that you used? If so I am not aware of any issues as long as the vacuum was intact.

O2 is not needed when pitching a rehydrated package of dry yeast like Danstar or Fermentis.

Aerating the wort is required. You still want the yeast to reproduce and create it's esters. If you don't aerate, you are likely to get a stuck ferment.

I can report I'm seeing activity now with the o2 and another inoculation of the nottingham yeast. Not sure what happened with the first but the second seems to be working. May be time to switch to safale us-05 for my next pa's...

Aerating the wort is required. You still want the yeast to reproduce and create it's esters. If you don't aerate, you are likely to get a stuck ferment.

i know that either danstar or fermentis (maybe both/) website states that aerating is not necessary with their dry yeasts. IIRC the yeast is processed in such a way that they have what they need to reproduce right off the bat. i use pure O2 in my beers with liquid yeast but not when i use dry yeast and they have always done well.

I always aerate my wort when using liquid yeast. Do I need to aerate the wort before pitching dry yeast?
No, there is no need to aerate the wort but it does not harm the yeast either. During its aerobic production, dry yeast accumulates sufficient amounts of unsaturated fatty acids and sterols to produce enough biomass in the first stage of fermentation. The only reason to aerate the wort when using wet yeast is to provide the yeast with oxygen so that it can produce sterols and unsaturated fatty acids which are important parts of the cell membrane and therefore essential for biomass production.
If the slurry from dry yeast fermentation is re-pitched from one batch of beer to another, the wort has to be aerated as with any liquid yeast.

http://www.danstaryeast.com/frequently-asked-questions

Nottingham is a lot better when you rehydrate it. Chances are if you left it alone it would have been fine, just pitching dry probably caused it to start slowly.

Nottingham is a lot better when you rehydrate it. Chances are if you left it alone it would have been fine, just pitching dry probably caused it to start slowly.

maybe but it was going on two days without anything happening and was afraid to leave it.

at any rate it seems to be working away now.

You now overpitched from being impatient,still will be ok.But with a .06OG shure its fine.

Back