Stuck on First Kegged Brew, Liquid QD won't connect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheYellowKing

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm a longtime homebrewer just getting back into the swing of things after a break.

I've decided to keg my beers this time around and I've run into an issue with my first brew.

I have a used 5g ball-lock keg purchased from KegConnection, cleaned it out, replaced the o-rings and soaked everything.

Siphoned my DIPA in, locked it up and set it to 10 psi for a week. No issues with the gas connect but when I went to attach my picnic tap, the QD won't make a secure connection. I have to push it down to get even a dribble of liquid to come out.

I've taken apart the QD and bought a replacement, same issue, feeling stuck.

Edit: attached a picture of the post.

IMG_2649.JPG

My guess is you or the manufacturer accidentally put the gas post on the out side. The gas post should have a cut/line towards the base of the post. A gray (gas) quick connect will go on both the in and out posts while a black (beer) quick connect will only fit on the beer post.

I have to push mine down pretty hard to get it to kinect

Mine never seems to make any real connection, the QD just slides back up the post slowly. If I REALLY push down I get a little bit of beer to come down the line, but nowhere near enough to pour.

Maybe very little, certainly nowhere near how easily/securely the gas line snaps into place. The liquid QD also slides up the post a day without a lot of force on it.

Potentially messy test: With the liquid QD off, can you depress the poppet? Might want to try putting an upside down cup over it to avoid a beer shower.

Considering it's an IPA, any chance you dry hopped in the keg or carried over some hop matter to the keg? I had a hoppy wheat which was a dribbler, because hops were clogging the outlet poppit and even the dip tube.

Potentially messy test: With the liquid QD off, can you depress the poppet? Might want to try putting an upside down cup over it to avoid a beer shower.

I can, just tried and got a spurt after applying some pressure on the poppet.

Considering it's an IPA, any chance you dry hopped in the keg or carried over some hop matter to the keg? I had a hoppy wheat which was a dribbler, because hops were clogging the outlet poppit and even the dip tube.

Yep, dry hopped 4oz of pellets

Did you try the connections before you filled the keg? You could pull the gas qd off and try the beer qd on that side. If it goes on smoothly then depressurize and switch the posts. You can put the gas qd on either side easily, but the beer qd is more particular. Also, black for beer and grey for gas, right?

Did you try the connections before you filled the keg? You could pull the gas qd off and try the beer qd on that side. If it goes on smoothly then depressurize and switch the posts. You can put the gas qd on either side easily, but the beer qd is more particular. Also, black for beer and grey for gas, right?

I did not try them before filling the keg and yes black for beer grey for gas. The notched post is on the in side, doesn't look like I mixed them up, which was my first thought.

Ok, that's definitely a "in" post! Sometimes they put the wrong post on there, but it's definitely an "innie".

Now, purge the keg totally by pulling the relief valve (gas off!). Then use your deep socket or box wrench and remove that post. Pull out the diptube and eyeball through it to a light. It must be clogged. If it's not in the diptube, look in the post and see if there is some hops debris stuck in there.

When i replaced my poppets with 'universal' poppets i could no longer get my liquid side connector on. Took the poppet out, cut about a 1/4 inch off the BOTTOM of the spring and reinstalled. everything was groovy after that.

Ok, that's definitely a "in" post! Sometimes they put the wrong post on there, but it's definitely an "innie".

Now, purge the keg totally by pulling the relief valve (gas off!). Then use your deep socket or box wrench and remove that post. Pull out the diptube and eyeball through it to a light. It must be clogged. If it's not in the diptube, look in the post and see if there is some hops debris stuck in there.

Took your suggestion and did that, there was a little bit of hop material in the post and almost none in the dip tube. Put everything back together and was able to get some beer out, but there were still issues.

The disconnect still doesn't fit correctly, if I apply just the right amount of pressure, and raise the psi up to 18-20 it'll poor a steady stream. If I apply too much pressure to the QD the stream will cut off.

The beer also seems far under-carbonated after a week at 10 psi. Did a leak test on my regulator, no issues.

Do you have another beer qd that you can try? Maybe the qd is the problem?

That was one of my first thoughts, went and bought a brand new QD, exact same problem. It connects but slides up the post a bit. It'll only work if I have someone else apply just the right amount of pressure.

I didn't read every post but if it hasn't been said, sometimes the little pin in the QD (that pushes down the poppit) may be stuck and won't go up. (Poppet goes down to open post and pin goes up to open QD). It's happened that way to me before.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back