Stuck in he bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdwdash

Reaction score
So I brewed an IPA back in may, bottled and let it sit for 3 months while I went on a short deployment. Just got back, it's pretty good but didn't carb up as much as I like. Can still taste some priming sugar and all. I was thinking I might get some more yeast and bottle dropper a little into each bottle, and let it sit for a few more weeks. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I would start with just turning the bottles upside-down and swirling all of the sediment into suspension, and then putting back down normally in a decently warm spot (72-75F) for another week or two. This has worked for me on a few occasions in the past.

HTH!

So I brewed an IPA back in may, bottled and let it sit for 3 months while I went on a short deployment. Just got back, it's pretty good but didn't carb up as much as I like. Can still taste some priming sugar and all. I was thinking I might get some more yeast and bottle dropper a little into each bottle, and let it sit for a few more weeks. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Before doing that, what temperature was the beer sitting at? If it was in a cold location (cool basement), the yeast could have been very sluggish, which would cause your priming sugar not to get eaten up. Sometimes warming the conditions and flipping the bottles upside down for a few hours and then back over will reactivate.

I would start with just turning the bottles upside-down and swirling all of the sediment into suspension, and then putting back down normally in a decently warm spot (72-75F) for another week or two. This has worked for me on a few occasions in the past.

HTH!

You beat me to the punch. Great minds think alike, good sir!

During the first 2 weeks of fermentation they were in a riddling rack, and I turned them every day. They were in the house, 70-75 degrees all day. They were in those temp conditions all 3 months. Kind of disappointing to come back to sweet beer!

Could part of the problem be from the hops flavours dissipating over that time frame? IPAs are best young as the hops flavours and aromas will fade over time. Could the sweetness be from the malt, and not the priming sugar?

I tasted my sample before I added priming, it was noticeably less sweet. The malt does add some sweetness though. This is all just so frustrating! I think by doing what I proposed, and adding a drop of say Champagne yeast to each, it will carb way up and dry it up as well.

Back