Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravegti

Reaction score
I'm brewing the Bourbon Barrel Porter Extract Kit from Northern Brewer. I nailed the OG at 1.065, pitched a packet of danstar windsor ale yeast and let 3 weeks pass. Gravity reading says 1.030. I pitched another packet of windsor ale, shook it up bit, and checked another 3 days later, still at 1.030. Fermenter is at 72 degrees and has been the whole process. No obvious signs of infection. What do I do now? Thanks in advance!

Did you use a starter for the yeast?

Sometimes fermentation stops because of the temperature (too high or low) or even because there is not enough oxygen mixed inside the beer. 72F looks just fine though. 1.030 is very high even for an extract kit.

No starter, either time. Temp was always hovering 72. Other beers are fermenting in the same space, so its not environmental. Should be getting down to 1.018.

I don't have an oxygen kit, but I always shake up the fermenter a bit and have never had this type of stuck fermentation before.

Taking readings with a hydrometer, that is reading correctly for other beers.

It could be anything really... What I would do in that case: put in secondary or only remove the sediments from the bottom, taste the beer. If the beer tastes fine, I would put in some more corn sugar in the mix juste to get the ABV a bit higher. Then wait if you see sign of a second fermentation. If not, drop the temperature a bit to 68F and add another pack of yeast. Make sure to use a starter. Generally, opening the pack, put it in 1 cup of water around 75-80F, add some sugar in it and leave on the counter covered with saran rap for 1-2 hours should be fine.

Windsor is awful about taking off fast and then crapping out before it fully attenuates. For that reason, I won't use it any longer and like S-04 much better.

Did you sprinkle it into the 1.065 wort straight out of the packet? If so, you probably lost about 1/2 the cells before they ever got a chance to reconstitute their cell walls. That's why rehydration is important, especially for a wort over 1.050.

Is this in a bucket or carboy? If a bucket, you can open the lid and give it a very gentle stir with a sanitized plastic spoon. That can sometimes rouse yeast off the bottom when swirling cannot.

I should clarify - when I pitched I didn't make a full starter, but did rouse the yeast as instructed on the packet for a few minutes.

I opened the lid again today and stirred it up pretty good. I did a gentle stir when I pitched the second time, so I'm hoping this will bring some more oxygen.

I should clarify - when I pitched I didn't make a full starter, but did rouse the yeast as instructed on the packet for a few minutes.

I opened the lid again today and stirred it up pretty good. I did a gentle stir when I pitched the second time, so I'm hoping this will bring some more oxygen.

Don't make a starter with dry yeast. Just rehydrate in warm (95-105*F) tap water 20 minutes, adjust to wort temp and pitch.

You really want to avoid introducing oxygen into a beer once fermentation has gotten going. That will cause it to develop a stale (like wet cardboard) taste.

Also do NOT add sugar to the water you are rehydrating in. This messes with osmatic pressure which is crucial to the yeasts survivabilty during rehydration process.

If the sg doesnt drop any further, rehydrate lallemande 1118 champagne yeast and pitch that and wait a week then check sg. 1118 should finish the fermentation.

Since the windsor has already fermented half way then you shouldn't lose any flavour profile at this point by pitching 1118.

If your brew is not close to FG, the only reason might be not enough oxygen, temps or the yeast sucks. In all the scenarios you need a new pack of yeast and it might be a good idea to switch to a new kind.

Back