Stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weconway

Reaction score
So I transferred my Octoberfest to the secondary this evening. I'm afraid that my fermentation may have gotten stuck in the primary.

I had, from appearances sake, a pretty good fermentation. Awesome kreusen, vigorous airlock activity for the first week, good steady bubbles for the second.

I gave it a 3 day diacetyl rest and cooled it to 50*F for the transfer.

When I transferred, I didn't take a sample for a hygrometer reading and instead poured the liquid off the bottom that I couldn't siphon and let that liquid settle in a glass in my fridge. The liquid was still pretty cloudy, but my reading was 1.020 on the nose.

Could all of the yeast, trub, etc. in my beer have thrown off my hygrometer reading? I'd rather not dip into my secondary for another sample to test.

The beer tasted great, although there was a lot of sediment in it. I think I'll lager it for a few months anyway. Couldn't hurt now.

The suspended material will definitely throw off a the reading. If it was settled the no. Let your brew sit for a few days and take another reading but I bet you are close to being done.

Latest posts

Back