Stuck fermentation / yeast bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, Sorry I am sure this has been posted a million times before, I thought all is well and bottled, though after almost a week I do not see signs of fermentation, the yeast I harvested also does not appear to do anything after more than 24Hrs in a starter.
I brewed a Coopers English Bitter, adding about 600g DME, as per instructions. Re-hydrated yeast for about 30-40min, while preparing wort. Everything was 20.3deg C when pitched, OG 1035, 172BPM the next morning, all seemed fine. Temperature around 16-18deg C, 6 days later it was at 1016, day 8 still 1016, I was going to leave in primary for another week, but decided to bottle & start the next batch, so it can condition more, whilst this batch solves the dry fridge problem. Primed with 80g sugar & bottled, harvested yeast. It is now 4 days later, I do not see obvious signs of carbonation - my daily tests are quite constant. The harvested yeast does nothing after 24Hrs in a starter. Any advise to what went wrong, or what can be done? Thanks, Peet.

It'll take more than a week to carb at 21C. Your probably looking into 2-3 weeks. What I usually do is once primed let the bottles sit at 21C for about 2 weeks put one in the fridge for 24hrs then try it. If it has good carbonation and taste good I put a few more in the fridge and let the others continue to condition.

Back