Stuck fermentation still 1.050 after 8 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summers

Reaction score
So I making a batch of simple cider for a party this fall and I pitched two packs of wlp007 on June 30th and I got back from vacation yesterday on the 7th and took a reading with my hydrometer thinking that it had fermented out while I was away and low and behold the reading was still 1.050 exactly the same as when I pitched the yeast. I used 100% fresh cider from a local store brand that I have used in the past. I am not sure what would have caused the yeast to stall out like this both packs of yeast were with in the best by date. Can anyone give me some insight as to what might have cause this. I had the temperature set to 67 in the fermentation chamber and i did not add any campden or anything else.

9maybe the yeast wasn't good, or maybe you killed it somehow?
Maybe they added preservatives to the cider?
I'd taste the cider and look for off flavors. There's always the wild yeast that land in the juice, but it just gets so terribly outnumbered by our packet/vial yeasts that they can't do much. if your yeast was the problem you would a
should be able to taste something of a wild yeast after 7 days at those temps.
Nothing funny? Then I'd blame it on preservatives.

Did you do a mini starter to see if the yeast was viable? This is always a possibility of refrigeration kicks out during transport.

Is there any sediment on the bottom?

I did not do a starter I just pitched both packs and had the idea to just let it ride, both packs had a best buy date of July 27th so I thought that with two packs I would be fine. Oh and FYI its still sitting at 1.050 almost 15 days later. I ordered some new yeast and I am going to make a starter tonight to pitch this weekend. I might just start over with some new juice. I have made multiple batches in the past the same way with no problems. I am just stumped this time.

There is sediment on the bottom.

I am at the point that if the starter does not show any sings of progress this weekend with the Cote des Blancs red star i am just going to pitch this down the drain and start over with a different brand of juice.

I always use a starter. That way I know the yeast is alive first. Also follow the instructions for hydrating dry yeast. The temp and amount of water is different for different strands.

update: I was able to make a 2lt starter with Cote des Blancs red star and the cider is under way.

One of the reasons why I prefer dry yeast: always sure of a starter! Luckily all you lost was a week, not a batch ._.

Latest posts

Back