Stuck fermentation or just needing to wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meridianomrebel

Reaction score
I'm doing my first pilsner, and I'm worried my fermentation has stalled (or perhaps I'm just being impatient).

OG: 1.048
Expected FG: ~1.011
Yeast: WLP815 (with starter)

05/30: Pitched at 48F.
06/11: Gravity reading was at 1.019. I bumped the temp up to 50F as the gravity had been reading at 1.019 for two consecutive days.
06/14: Gravity reading was still at 1.019. Bumped temp to 55F.
06/17: Gravity reading is still at 1.019.

So, it's been nearly a week since the gravity has moved on this. Should I go ahead and bump the temp up to 62F to see if that'll get it to move, or do I need to look at possibly pitching another batch of yeast?

Gravity readings during fermentation was from using the Tilt Hydrometer. Today I pulled a sample and use two glass hydrometers I had to verify that it's not just an issue with the Tilt - both verified that the Tilt is reporting an accurate reading.

I can hold temp within +/-1F. I am using a BrewJacket Pro with it. I'm gonna wait it out a few more days, and if no change I think I will probably repitch. Just haven't run into this problem before.

It's always possible I ended up with more unfermentables, but I kept a very close eye on my mash temp, and I stayed pretty good on that. My temp gauge on my kettle has always been accurate, but perhaps it's off now? I can check it with my digital thermometer next brew day to make sure it hasn't gotten out of whack. The recipe I used was Gavin's German Pilsner.

Back