Stuck fermentation. I'm puzzled. My 13 gal batch was stop on for OG and FG. M...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suric

Reaction score
Stuck fermentation. I'm puzzled. My 13 gal batch was spot on for OG and FG. My target was 1.055 and I was slightly lower at 1.052. I made a good yeast starter WYEAST. 1056 ale yeast but after 3 days no visible signs of anything coming from my air lock. My last reading was 1.035. Today. My temp of my primary is roughly 71degrees F. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Suggestion: Leave it alone for about 10-14 days. It sounds like a long lag time but by your measurements, it IS fermenting. How big was your starter? Was it made for a 5 gallon batch or a 10 gallon batch?

My starter was for a 10 gal batch. It was an all grain recipe. I was wondering if my fermentation vessel is too big. I used a food grade 20 gal vessel with a snap ring holding the top down. It has a typical air lock on the top.

Lemme see if I have this right...

It's been fermenting for 3 days now. OG was 1.052 and after 3 days is currently 1.035. Is that correct, or am I missing something?

If correct, I don't see a problem here. Check it again in a week and it should be done.

Id just leave it, its only been 4 days. I have had this happen in the past where I see no activity. flick the air lock and see if any bubbles come out

I agree, at 3 days it is likely to be only half way to final gravity. You need to wait a minimum of 4 more days before you should even think of taking final gravity readings.

Or was it 3 days with no signs of fermentation (Lag time) then the fermentation got going?
If so, how long has it been fermenting.

You also said your Final Gravity was spot on??? If so and your reading is 1.035 your FG is NOT "spot on".

If you are seeing no activity in your airlock, that simply means that the gasses produced by fermentation is finding an easier way out of the fermenter.

I suggest you wait at least 2 weeks from brew day to make any more gravity readings. Giving the yeast longer to work is almost always better than rushing things.

Either the OP is confused on what OG and FG are, the timing stated is incorrect or the fermentation is only half way done...

Ok. Then I have to rack to my secondary anyway.

NO. Transferring to secondary (if you do one at all) is not time specific.

Wait the 10 or so more days, take a gravity reading, wait another day. If the readings are the same you can make decisions. 1) It is safe to bottle. 2) You can transfer to secondary to allow the beer to clear more. (that is pretty much all that happens in secondary) or 3) You can leave the beer alone for 2-4 weeks, it will clean up nicely, clarity and flavors. Then you can bottle.

Well, you can do that in primary if you so choose. Of course, you can do it in secondary as well. Just don't transfer your beer until it's finished fermenting.

Personally, I'd dry hop in primary and then package it when the dry hop is done.

It's difficult to be patient. I will however, be vigilant and wait for 7-10 days. Does it present a problem if the dry hopping is in the vessel longer by a few days? What is generally optimal for that part if the process. My recipe calls for 2 oz of citra dry hop for 7 days.

Latest posts

Back