Stuck fermentation? High F.G.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binosbrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am a new homebrewer from Italy and last week I started brewing my first beer using a mini Pils kit (for 12 liters) from the website Mr. Malt(it says produced by Muntons though!). It comes with a high fermentation Ale yeast.
The instructions do not indicate a S.G., but only say the F.G. which should be of 1.008 with an alcohol content of 4,8 ABV. My S.G. reading was 1.036.
The wort started fermenting vigorously but less than 48 hours after pitching the yeast the bubbling completely stopped. I took a gravity reading and it indicated betwen 1.013 and 1014. Now another week has passed and nothing has changed. The beer fermented in a room with a temperature between 19.8 and 20.8 degrees, and the thermoeter on the carboy indicated 22 degrees for the whole fermenting time, dropping to 20 as the bubbling stopped. Temperature shouldn't have been an issue I would say.
I didn't rack into secondary because as the bubbling stopped I was afraid of oxigenating the beer by putting it into a carboy whith a relevant head space above it.
Today I tried to shake a bit the carboy to "move" a bit the yeast but nothing canged. I was told to raise the temperature, but the maximum I have in my house is my bedroom, where the carboy is now, but anyway it does not get any warmer than 20\21 degrees at the moment.
What should I do? Shoud I add more yeast? If so, how? I should be able to find a generic ale yeast(S-04?)at a local beer shop.
Bottling with more than 6 points of gravity above the reccomended F.G. would make me a bit anxious..

Congratulazioni! You made beer. It it tastes good and it relatively clear, you can bottle it. If it tastes a bit green or the yeast haven't settled out yet, give it another week and check again.

Kit directions are an estimate. If the gravity is stable, then that is the real test.

I think I will proceed by making a starter, to which i will add a small amount of the wort and make it ferment before pitching it into the wort. I read this advice from a senior member of the forum, hope it will work!

Ops I saw your reply after posting!
The thing is that I put some bread yeast in a sample of wort in a bottle and it started fermenting again,so that means there are still some fermentable sugars,right? After all bread yeast is still saccharomyces cerevisiae. That is why I wanted to pitch more yeast, to avoid an awake of the fermentation while bottled!

Seriously, just leave it alone. Different yeast ferment different sugars, so checking with other yeast isn't helpful. You are worrying about something that isn't a problem. 1.013 is a perfectly reasonable FG for an extract beer and is nothing to be concerned about. If you check the gravity and it's remained constant over a week period, you are safe to bottle.

One thing I've been doing recently, is @ 15 mins near the end of the boil, throw in a old packet of yeast.

I was able to score about 30-40 old bags of yeast (looks like leftovers from kits) for very cheap!

So for each batch, along with some Wyeast nutrient, I throw in one of those old packs of yeast @ 15 mins near the end of boil to kill off the yeast and add more nutrients!

I only use dry yeast and I've never had a stuck fermentation since I've been doing this.

Back