Stuck fermentation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildKnight

Reaction score
I have a beer at about 1.090 OG that is stuck at 1.022; I'd like to get it down to 1.015-1.017 if I can. It is in secondary now, and I have rinsed and stored the yeast cake. Can I use this yeast to re-pitch and get the gravity down? What is the best procedure for this?

Can I simply add some fresh wort and aerate to rejuvenate the yeast, then pitch into my secondary once fermentation begins?

Honestly i can't say i'd recommend that you do that... I think 1.022 is not a bad place to be at...

How long have you been in the secondary?

+1 to the two responses above... 1.090 to 1.022 is pretty damn good. If you post your recipe, we could narrow the issue better.

2 oz Columbus (14.5%)
2 oz Centennial (9.7%)
2 oz Amarillo (6.9%)
2 oz Cascade (5.4%)
12 lbs American 2-row
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb Crystal 20
2 lbs Light DME
0.5 lb honey
Wyeast American Ale (1056)

What do you think?

yea according to Wyeast you've pretty much topped that yeast out... According to my calculations you got 75.5% attenuation and it maxes out at 77%... So i doubt you will go any further...

Agreed. You might be able to get a couple more points out of it, but I don't think you'll get down to 1.017. I would warm it up and swirl the carboy, but I wouldn't bother pitching again.

^^^ at this point I don't even think its worth it... it got really really far and thats a great job that yeast did for you...

Here's my question to you... How does it taste? Sweet? I doubt it... I mean you're looking at 9%abv right now and it the residual sweetness that is going to be left in the finished beer will help balance against the alcohol...

Back