Stuck Fermentation Conundrum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OswaldvW

Reaction score
On July 19, 2017 I brewed a 5 gallon batch of American barleywine. I created a 2 Liter yeast starter (used WLP 090 San Diego Super) and everything went according to plan. OG was 1.108.

After a few weeks, gravity was at 1.050 and not moving, so I upped temp and roused the yeast. Nothing.

Then, I added a packet of EC-1118 (rehydrated). That has taken me down to a gravity of 1.040.

Did more yeast rousing and fiddling with temperature. Nothing. After weeks, it's still at 1.040. Alcohol is now approx 9%.

Tastings indicate it's just too sweet. I have a bunch of options and wanted to get some experienced feedback.

1.) Just bottle it and move on to next project (this is not my first choice)

2.) Blend it with another batch of barleywine I have with a final gravity of 1.024 (a much more reasonable gravity). The problem with this idea is my other barleywine tastes great and I don't want to mess with upsetting a batch that is right where it needs to be.

3.) remove approx 1 gallon, add a little water to thin it out (reduce the alcohol percentage to make it less of a shock to the yeast), pitch another packet of champagne/wine yeast and then once this is fermenting, bring this starter back to the original carboy and hope for the best.

4.) move the project into the sour realm and pitch some Brett & Pediococcus.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

1. Id rather dump it than drink 1.040 beer
2. You could leave the good barleywine alone and brew a "session" 1.040issh version of your current recipe and blend that rather than using water as well.
3. I don't see that making something enjoyable but you could try it on a pint glass scale first.
4. Bugs could be fun throw some oak in there down the road.

5. Powdered Amylase Enzyme may break down some complex sugars and get you going again. I have not used it but there are a few people who advocate it's use in situations such as these. So you may want to look that up.

I will probably keep a few gallons to sour and will dump the rest.

Time to move on to the next project.

I would've tossed in WLP099 or Dry Belgian Ale instead of the EC-1118. Not much that champagne yeast can do. At 1.040 you're spot on for BCBS so you could always oak it.

I concur with Comfort_Zone. I've used WLP 099 to fix my own barley wine that got stuck at 1.040. Took it down to 1.012 in two weeks.

Back