Stuck Fermentation at 1.030

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaneFox

Reaction score
Mash, Temps, gravity was all fine. Used unfiltered local water. Fermenting in 60L Speidel.

Every couple of days I've been trying different things to get it going:...

Dry pitched 3 pkg SF04, no starter. Fermented to 1.030 and stopped.
Pitched extra SF04, no change.
Stirred without splashes, no change.
Added 1 tbsp Amylase. No new activity.
Rocked fermenter, no change.
Used some fallen yeast out of the fermenter to create a starter, did not proof. Possibly some tiny bit of foam on the top after 2 days on the counter, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything so I tossed it out. Yeast bed had formed and stayed immediately after pitch.
Directly pitched 2 pkg of dry Champagne Yeast, no activity.
Added 1 tbsp additional Amylase. No new activity.
Rocked fermenter again this morning, haven't seen any changes.

Really frustrated at this point. Aside from buying a smack pack and pitching that I can't really think of anything else to do to get it going. Thoughts? It seems just totally frozen and unwilling to move finish out. The Amylase should have at least made the environment much easier to live in and all that yeast should has been plenty motivated to get to work. The beer basically tastes like Hops with Sugar at this point, so I'm not going to Keg it until it gets down to like 1020 or 1015.

Thoughts?
:confused:

shot_150211_082531.png

jeez dude, you are way over thinking this.

There is no mash temp that could have caused that recipe to stop at 1.030

I'm 99% sure you have 1 of two problems

1. Whatever you are using for FG is inaccurate. A hydrometer that's paper scale has slid or a Refractometer that you are not correcting for alcohol being present.

or

2. The wort/beer is just too cold.

So...How are you taking FG and what temp is the room where you have the beer/is it sitting directly on the floor?

Fermentation temperature too low it will put the yeast in a dormant state + Mash too high cause low fermentable + pitch too high temp will kill some yeast ......

Piece of advice. Next time something isn't lining up in your head, do more thinking instead of acting. Generally speaking there is little you can do to "fix" the natural course of a brew once you set it on it's way.

Typically very small corrections, like raising the temp will get you to where you need to be.

Cheers, I'll bet it turns out just fine

I just made a stout that finished at 1.030, from a start of 1.078. In my case, I think it was that I didn't get the mash blended completely--had a hot spot near the bottom. Looks like you solved your problem, though.

Piece of advice. Next time something isn't lining up in your head, do more thinking instead of acting. Generally speaking there is little you can do to "fix" the natural course of a brew once you set it on it's way.

Typically very small corrections, like raising the temp will get you to where you need to be.

Cheers, I'll bet it turns out just fine

It's not that I'm in panic mode or something, I just have only used the Refractometer for one other brew and its been a while so I forgot about compensating for this. Going to grab a Hydrometer on the way home and test it in a tube to confirm.

I just made a stout that finished at 1.030, from a start of 1.078. In my case, I think it was that I didn't get the mash blended completely--had a hot spot near the bottom. Looks like you solved your problem, though.

This might have been the case, but given that the refactometer calc comes out to ~1.005 when I compensate for alcohol I'm assuming that is the case until I test it later tonight and can confirm.

Thanks for the sanity checks.

I'm sorry...but the below is definitely panic mode, I have never done any of these things or frankly felt the need. RDWHAHB

Every couple of days I've been trying different things to get it going:...

Dry pitched 3 pkg SF04, no starter. Fermented to 1.030 and stopped.
Pitched extra SF04, no change.
Stirred without splashes, no change.
Added 1 tbsp Amylase. No new activity.
Rocked fermenter, no change.
Used some fallen yeast out of the fermenter to create a starter, did not proof. Possibly some tiny bit of foam on the top after 2 days on the counter, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything so I tossed it out. Yeast bed had formed and stayed immediately after pitch.
Directly pitched 2 pkg of dry Champagne Yeast, no activity.
Added 1 tbsp additional Amylase. No new activity.
Rocked fermenter again this morning, haven't seen any changes.

:confused:

Don't misunderstand the tone of what I am saying. Based on your issue and post count I am assuming you are a novice, and all I'm trying to tell you is that your concerns and effort are misplaced and unnecessary....and most importantly relax.

It may not be the best course of action to presume someone is a novice because they choose do not post on the internet.

I'm not misunderstanding your tone. Considering the problem seems to be forgetting to account for alcohol on my brand spanking new refractometer after using a hydro for a few years there is no need to reiterate your opinion about my frame of mind.

Don't misunderstand the tone of what I am saying. Based on your issue and post count I am assuming you are a novice, and all I'm trying to tell you is that your concerns and effort are misplaced and unnecessary....and most importantly relax.

Wow, that's pretty condescending. I understand what you're trying to communicate, but you're not doing it well. You're really coming off as an arrogant know-it-all. Just let it rest. I think the OP's learned his lesson.

Back