Stuck Corks - What to Do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
I have a case of Trader Joe's seasonal corked bombers, 2010 & 2011 vintages. The corks get stuck and are a real pain to get out. For most, I have to use a corkscrew to get some of it out then a screwdriver or something else to push the remainder into the bottle.

These brews are made by Unibroue.

It appears that the corks have dried and stick to the glass.

What can I do to get these out easier? I'm tired of the cork floaties.

Store the bottles upside down for a few days with the exposed cork in Starsan. Starsan is slippery and this should rehydrate the corks. If this will help them to be removed I have no idea but this is what I would try.

This is what I use for stuck corks. The ears will slide in on each side of the cork, then you will slowly work them around with a twisting motion until you free the cork on all sides. Then you can work it out with the puller or use a traditional corkscrew to get it out. Works great, even for synthetic corks which can be a real PITA.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HMDOBI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 cases of 2011 (tasty!!!) left I just use a pair of pliers with the jaws open and turn them just a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to loosen them then just use your hand to remove as usual. They were tough to get out from the get go.

The 2010 vintage get stuck more that the 11. I'll give the pliers a shot for the next bottle.

Latest posts

Back