Stuck carboy bung

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatyboy

Reaction score
I picked up a 3 gallon glass carboy and a 6.5 carboy bung from my LHBS. Every time I tried putting the bung in the carboy it would slide itself out. So with the airlock in I pretty much jammed that sucker in. It's currently fermenting 3 gallons of peach cider, but when the time comes I'm gonna need to get that bung out. Any suggestions on how I'll be going about doing that without chunks of rubber bung floating around my cider? And did my LHBS sell me the wrong sized bung?

Meatyboy said:
I picked up a 3 gallon glass carboy and a 6.5 carboy bung from my LHBS. Every time I tried putting the bung in the carboy it would slide itself out. So with the airlock in I pretty much jammed that sucker in. It's currently fermenting 3 gallons of peach cider, but when the time comes I'm gonna need to get that bung out. Any suggestions on how I'll be going about doing that without chunks of rubber bung floating around my cider? And did my LHBS sell me the wrong sized bung?

First remove the airlock and that will relieve some of the outside pressure and then spray some star San around the edges and let sit for a minute and the wiggle that sucker outta there!

There really isn't any bung out enough to get a grip on. It's about 1/16" below the carboy lip. I thought about straightening out a metal coat hanger starsaning the crap out of it and trying to hook it out but worried about ripping the bung up with chunks in my cider.

The real issue is was the 6.5 bung sold to me too big or too small? It seemed once I star san'd it and put it in the carboy it kept sliding itself out, which is why I forced it in like I did. Was kinda desperate at the time seeing the LBHS was closed and almost 2 hours away. And I had already poured in the cider and pitched my yeast.

Meatyboy said:
There really isn't any bung out enough to get a grip on. It's about 1/16" below the carboy lip. I thought about straightening out a metal coat hanger starsaning the crap out of it and trying to hook it out but worried about ripping the bung up with chunks in my cider.

The real issue is was the 6.5 bung sold to me too big or too small? It seemed once I star san'd it and put it in the carboy it kept sliding itself out, which is why I forced it in like I did. Was kinda desperate at the time seeing the LBHS was closed and almost 2 hours away. And I had already poured in the cider and pitched my yeast.

Try a drywall toggle bolt anchor like the following from home depot... you may have to look around for one with a small enough toggle to fit through the bung hole...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...ngId=-1&keyword=drywall+anchors&storeId=10051

I can push an airlock through what little opening I have left right now, so I can see a bolt working. (used to manage an autoparts store, I how know to find something small enough). Guess I'll find out in a few weeks if it'll work.

Still need to know if 6.5 is too big or too small or just right for that 3 gallon glass carboy. Maybe it wanting to slide out was operator error.

Back