Strong Belgian Wit - Full Krausen after 3 weeks - 1.028

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PintOfPlain

Reaction score
Hi

I made a normal Wit, re-used the yeast, and pitched it into my Nitwit Strong wit (from Mosher Radical Brewing)

OG was 1.08, and after 3 weeks bubbling it still has a full krausen and is at 1.028
The last batch with the same yeast it got down to 1.01

so we have 6,8% alchohol, and it tastes GREAT...

Mashed at 150
Fermentation Temp is around 65F

just wondering whats people experiences with this:

1. I have some more of the same yeast from the last batch in the fridge - shall I pitch it in?
2. I am trying the shake the carboy method now - (Also to try and get the krausen down!)
3. warm it up a bit to 70F+?

Or for these strong beers, is a bit sweet ok? seems like for this strong Belgian Wit, a bit sweet could be good..

Cheers

Warm it up and agitate the carboy some by spinning it back and forth gently like a washing machine. Another thing you can do is try to stir some of the krausen back into the beer. I don't think you need to pitch any more, as it seems that the yeast in the carboy is still active. I would think you should be able to get down to 1.020, maybe further. What is the estimated FG from the recipe?

slarkin712 said:
Warm it up and agitate the carboy some by spinning it back and forth gently like a washing machine. Another thing you can do is try to stir some of the krausen back into the beer. I don't think you need to pitch any more, as it seems that the yeast in the carboy is still active. I would think you should be able to get down to 1.020, maybe further. What is the estimated FG from the recipe?

Hi. The 3944 yeast has 72-76% attenuation.
So expected FG should be 1.022 or lower.

I'll do what you recommend. Thanks!

I've used that yeast on an imperial wit that had an OG of 1.070 and it got down to 1.012. Your FG is very much dependent on your grain bill and your mash temperture. The attenuation values given by Wyeast are only useful in a very general way. What I was asking was what was the expected FG from the recipe you used. Well, I got out my copy of Radical Brewing and checked out the recipe. Considering that there are no crystal malt or other malts that are full of unfermentables I would expect your FG to get below 1.020. And maybe as low as 1.012. Just be patient and wait for the gravity to stabilize.

1. I have some more of the same yeast from the last batch in the fridge - shall I pitch it in?
2. I am trying the shake the carboy method now - (Also to try and get the krausen down!)
3. warm it up a bit to 70F+?

I've only used WLP 400, but it's supposedly the same strain and yeah it's definitely a slow finisher.

I let almost all my fermentations rise in temp naturally after the first few days, but especially w/ Belgian strains. According to Brew Like a Monk, the technique is pretty standard w/ most monastic brewing.

Definitely warm it up if it's not too late with an OG like that. Most high gravity Belgians like to start low and finish high. Some as high as mid 80s to low 90s!

Addendum: As a wit, I wouldn't warm it up past 72F but due to high gravity you might need to go a touch higher. The original recipe didn't touch on the fermentation schedule at all?

PhelanKA7 said:
Definitely warm it up if it's not too late with an OG like that. Most high gravity Belgians like to start low and finish high. Some as high as mid 80s to low 90s!

Addendum: As a wit, I wouldn't warm it up past 72F but due to high gravity you might need to go a touch higher. The original recipe didn't touch on the fermentation schedule at all?

Warmed it up (reverse swamp cooler - swamp cooler with warm water) and gave it a good ole shake every day - got it down from 1.028 to 1.016! About ready to bottle this now. Thanks for the tips

Back