Strong ale FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose5

Reaction score
I started this recipe the second week of July. I timed it to be ready the first week of October. I started with an OG 1.10. Here I am still in secondary. Last weekend it read 1.025. This weekend it reads 1.025. I am still getting bubbles in the airlock about 1 every 25 to 40 seconds. Is this beer done? If not what FG should I be waiting for. I have done this recipe before and it didn't take nearly this long. Looks like this will be my Christmas beer.

That's not out of the ordinary. Most gravities above 1.1 will finish in the 20's depending on the yeast. Bubbles mean nothing; go with your gravity reading. Out of curiosity, which yeast did you use? US-05/1056 will finish in the 20's if your gravity is over 1.1. Think about it this way: Assuming adequate pitching rates, your average beer starts around 1.050 and finishes around 8-15, depending on the yeast. If you are 1.75 times that OG then you, theoretically, should end up with an equivalent amount of residual sugar(I am ignoring the density difference between Etoh and water in this exampe for brevity's sake).
-Jeff-

It was WYeast 1388. I did a starter with one pack.

Second question can I consider the extra time in secondary and count it as aging and still begin general consumption in October?

that's a perfectly acceptable fg with that yeast and sg. same fg after a week says bottle/keg. are you bottling or kegging? if kegging, do you force carb or naturally carb?

I keg and naturally carb.

Then I would cut down on the amount of carbonating sugar in the keg in case you get some residual fermentation from whatever else is left in the original brew.

And I am thinking the beer is going to be a lot better in December, in my experience.

Then I would cut down on the amount of carbonating sugar in the keg in case you get some residual fermentation from whatever else is left in the original brew.

And I am thinking the beer is going to be a lot better in December, in my experience.

+1 you can always add more sugar if its undercarbed.

I'm sorry I misunderstood. I don't use priming sugar in the keg. I hook up the gas and let it sit in the frig for two weeks. I must admit this beer is the most gorgeous color. I think I'll at least wait until November for a first taste.

You could try putting a few bottles in the freezer till they are very cold, then fill them from the keg under low pressure (~4 psi), cap them and keep them six months to a year. I bet this beer will age very well.

Back