Strong alcohol taste, No Malt Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aric6785

Reaction score
Hey guys... Brewed an IPA a while back and I kegged it last week. After force carbing, the first day, I tasted pure malt flavor with little hops flavor... I let it sit for two days... I then tasted the hop profile I was looking for... I get back from a trip last night and I poured a beer... It had very little hop character and tasted almost like pure alcohol... I kegged 4 gallons and bottled a gallon... They pretty much taste the same.

I read about it might have something to do with Fermenting temps. I might’ve gotten it cooled down to about 85 before pitching, my water pretty much stopped the cooling process because the tap water wasn’t that cold. I’ve got almost 20 brews and this is the first time I’ve had this issue... I’m thinking I also shouldn’t have added the sugar... I was going for a higher gravity...

IMG_2253.jpg

I’ve attached the recipe to get thoughts... I’m new to creating my own recipe, so take it easy on me with the critiques hahaha. It fermented for almost 3 1/2 weeks in the carboy, which is kept in a pantry at about 70 degrees ambient temperature... so it’s probably around 76-78 degrees in the carboy?

Today is another brew day... Except today, I’m using a submersible pump with a cooler with ice water to hopefully get the temp below 70 for pitching...

Last edited:
8 oz of sugar isn't even close to enough to get a "hot" alcohol flavor. Ferment temp could certainly do it, 75+ is definitely not desirable for that yeast. Hopefully that hot alcohol flavor fades, it's also only been in the keg a week, right?

Almost a week and a half now in the keg... Just let the neighbor taste it... He said it almost taste like a Coors Light... That was almost as sad to hear than when I got told my puppy died when I was 7...

High fermentation temperatures could give fusel alcohol which will give a harsh bite. The length of fermentation also led to diminished hop flavor and aroma. For an IPA I would not go over 2 weeks. Your recipe also is toward bittering and little toward flavor and aroma. This imbalance will accentuate the alcohol perception.

For the next one change up the hops to get your bitterness, and then really up the amount of late addition hops. None earlier than 15 minutes and a lot at flameout. Consider also doing a sizable dry hop.

For that one I would have used at least 2 ounces of Motueka at flameout or lower the temperature to 170 then do the addition. I might still do a dry hop on top of that.

But again, controlling the fermentation temperature is one of the best ways to make your beers better. I look up the optimum temperature range for each yeast that I use and aim for the middle or just lower than middle.

Your recipe also is toward bittering and little toward flavor and aroma. This imbalance will accentuate the alcohol perception.

For the next one change up the hops to get your bitterness, and then really up the amount of late addition hops. None earlier than 15 minutes and a lot at flameout. Consider also doing a sizable dry hop.

But again, controlling the fermentation temperature is one of the best ways to make your beers better. I look up the optimum temperature range for each yeast that I use and aim for the middle or just lower than middle.

That hop schedule is a personal preference/different IPA style, though. What OP did is reasonable for a more classic American IPA, though I would have upped the late hops a bit as well. Not that what you're suggesting is bad, just certainly not the only way to make an IPA, and not the reason he has a strong alcohol flavor, though I suppose high bitterness could contribute to that perception.

As you said, ferment temp is crucial.

I agree with KH54s10. Your late hop addition is low. I have found that adding a hop at 10 minutes left then cooling wort to 160-170 and whirlpooling hops for 20-30 minutes and then dry hopping 5 days from kegging has been a home run for my taste .

Definitely got to watch that fermentation temp as it is really crucial.

That hop schedule is a personal preference/different IPA style, though. What OP did is reasonable for a more classic American IPA, though I would have upped the late hops a bit as well. Not that what you're suggesting is bad, just certainly not the only way to make an IPA, and not the reason he has a strong alcohol flavor, though I suppose high bitterness could contribute to that perception.

As you said, ferment temp is crucial.

I agree that there are different ways to achieve an IPA, I have done a few without dry hops, but they have always had more late addition hops that that recipe. The OP was complaining about the lack of hop presence. The hop schedule would be a major factor. The length of the fermentation didn't help and the hot temperature probably created the alcohol tastes.

Agree with changing your hop schedule and controlling fermentation temperature (look for a dorm fridge on craigslist that will hold a bucket or carboy)

I'll add that you might have had something funky happen with your mash that stressed your yeast in addition to the high fermentation temps. I've never done a 100% wheat base malt beer like that. I know it certainly can be done, but there may be some other mash considerations or yeast nutrients needed. I'd recommend replacing about half the white wheat with 2-row or Pils

Well I can tell you right now that your lack of malt character is from the fact that you went almost 100% on the wheat. Wheat doesn't have a lot of flavor compared to barley, or rather it's more of a lack of barley character. In the future you can cut down on the number of grains. You can do something like 100% pale ale malt or 100% Vienna and get a killer base.

Well I can tell you right now that your lack of malt character is from the fact that you went almost 100% on the wheat. Wheat doesn't have a lot of flavor compared to barley, or rather it's more of a lack of barley character. In the future you can cut down on the number of grains. You can do something like 100% pale ale malt or 100% Vienna and get a killer base.

Thanks. Just started designing my own recipes. My stout I made was pretty good... but this one I think I might have to chalk up as a fail. Thanks for the tips!

Thanks. Just started designing my own recipes. My stout I made was pretty good... but this one I think I might have to chalk up as a fail. Thanks for the tips!
It's all part of the process. Failed batches are bound to happen. I know I've had my fair share

My suggestion is to start by taking a proven recipe and making smaller changes to make it something different that you think you will like. Something like changing some crystal in an APA to some rye and making a Rye ale. Changing some 2 row for a different base grain like Vienna etc. If you don't make huge changes you should not have a "fail". It might not be as good as you would like, but at least - quite good.

If you get something good you can expand on that. If you get something not so good you can try something else. Each will give you some knowledge in what the different grains contribute.

Out of my 107 batches I have only gotten 3 bad batches. Those were extreme experiments.

Wheat beers don't have much flavor, besides a bit of tartness I pick up from them. 100% wheat is an odd choice for a beer, especially an IPA. Next time, go with all barley malt, and even a "maltier malt" for a portion of it if you want to have a nice firm malt backbone. Say, 90% brewer's two row, and 5-8% Munich malt, and then maybe either a tiny bit of crystal malt for the rest if you like crystal malt in your IPAs. If you want to add a pound of wheat for head retention, you could, but otherwise I'd leave out the wheat.
Fermentation temperatures are crucial- put the fermenter in a bin of cold water if you have to, to get it under 70, and then add the yeast. Add frozen water bottles as needed to the water bath to keep it at 68 degrees or so, and the beer will be so much better!

Back