Stringy/film during boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brent77

Reaction score
Hi All,

Mid boil last night I noticed a film starting on part of the surface, and and also some stringing/film like floating around. Best way to describe it would be like when you drop an egg into boiling water, what the whites look like as they float around. some of them got to be about 6" long and felt a bit rubbery when i pulled them out. I'm assuming its just some sort of protein break? But I've done a lot of batches and never seen it like this before. I've attached 2 photos of what it looks like. Thanks in advance. :confused:

IMG_3975.JPG

IMG_3973.JPG

If it looks like egg drop soup, that's protein. It'll sediment out. I've never had some so long, though. Maybe a high protein batch of grain?

If it looks like egg drop soup, that's protein. It'll sediment out. I've never had some so long, though. Maybe a high protein batch of grain?

That's kind of what I assumed I've just never seen it like this before. Grain bill was:

86% 2 row / 8% flaked wheat / 6% honey malt

That's pretty weird. Is it possible some foreign objects were in your grain? Maybe pieces of stalk from the plant that got shredded in the mill?

It's the wheat. You can get that "egg drop soup" stuff when you use wheat in the grain bill. It apparently has to do with the different proteins in wheat vs barley. No worries.

Latest posts

Back