Strike Water Temp Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callisbeers

Reaction score
I had to buy a new thermometer a couple of batches ago and ever brew session since I reach the target strike water temp, pour it into the cooler, stir the grains, and the mash temp is 4-6 degrees higher than target mash temp. This rarely happened with the old thermometer. The old thermometer hung down and had contact with the kettle side, the new one hangs down into the water about 2 inches from the side. Any suggestions? I have been adding cold water to the mash to get it down to the required temp but it would be nice not to have to do this.

I bought a new thermometer (for the features, not because I had to) and compared it to the older ones (I have multiple thermometers to use) and at room temp it was right on, at mash temp it was 7 degrees high and 10 degrees high at boil. It was a digital and supposed to be within .3 degrees but it wasn't. Thermapens are reported to be the best but they aren't cheap.

If you want to keep using that thermometer, you can compensate but I'd think of replacing it so you don't forget and compensate the wrong way.

Latest posts

Back