Strawberry wine disaster :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xzarfna

Reaction score
Well... just had my very first homebrew disaster...

Used a recipe i have done many a time before - a very simple strawberry wine made from cheap supermarket jam. Before i get into the gory details here was my method:

In a large bowl, scoop out 6 jars of the cheapest strawberry jam you can find - mine was 29p a jar at Tesco. add a little boiling water and mash until stir-able.
Then add a couple of teaspoons of pectolase and leave overnight. It should be almost entirely smooth, maybe a few lumps left but thats no bother.
Transfer to a pan and boil. boil for ages to get rid of any bacteria that may have grown in the sugar overnight.
Then add 1tsp of yeast nutrient and 1tsp of bentonite and whisk for 30 seconds vigorously.

WAIT UNTIL COOL

transfer into a 1 gallon DJ and top up to the neck with cold water. Add yeast, fit airlock and ferment until done, rack 2/3 times before bottling

Now... heres where i went wrong this time... I forgot to let it cool completely. this would have been fine had my DJ not been rather old and worse for ware.
The moment i began adding tap water to fill it up, i began to hear creaking noises, a few moments later and the entire batch was down the sink as the DJ broke into 3 large pieces. Utterly devastating as not only had i been excited about another batch of wine for the summer, but the DJ, being old, had a lot of memories with it.

so remember everyone, let the must cool to room temp before adding to a glass DJ, or disaster may occur...

:(

I did a very similar recipe myself that is almost just like it but I used less JAM and supplemented sugars with honey to make it a melomel. It was super good but I found I have a slight allergy to strawberries and when mixed/fermented into alcohol it turns a slight allergy into a big problem. So all those bottles were given away to very happy people.

I did a very similar recipe myself that is almost just like it but I used less JAM and supplemented sugars with honey to make it a melomel. It was super good but I found I have a slight allergy to strawberries and when mixed/fermented into alcohol it turns a slight allergy into a big problem. So all those bottles were given away to very happy people.

I have an medium alergy to strawberries. Good to know makeing wine with them makes it worse and not better!!! I had wondered.....

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I have an medium alergy to strawberries. Good to know makeing wine with them makes it worse and not better!!! I had wondered.....

For me it made my mouth and throat super itchy and like the worst heartburn that can't be quenched with any amount of milk, tumms or anything else that would normally help. Pretty awful.

Not fun!
Strawberries make my face swell up, just like poisen ivey does. I'm not thinking haveing my throught do the same would be very nice.... It sounds like that may have been what was happening to you. No more strawberry wine!

Back