Strawberry pear wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtlescales

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've got wine questions once again. I've got a couple gallon bags of frozen pears, they were super ripe when they were frozen,and another gallon worth of frozen strawberries. Not sure what the weights are off hand, probably about 5 pounds of each.

I was just going to make a gallon or two of strawberry wine, but I am debating combining the two for a 5 gallon batch. Has anyone tried using pears before for anything other than a pear cider?

I am thinking something along these lines-

10 pounds pears
5 pounds strawberries
2 11 ounce cans of Welch's white grape juice concentrate
8 pounds sugar
8 tsp acid blend
5 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp wine tannin
Pectic enzyme
Water to 5 gallons
Redstar Cotes de Blanc yeast (or) Lalvin D-47

Start primary fermentation with 5 pounds pears, 5 pounds strawberries in a brew bucket mashed up in a jelly bag. Secondary, add remaining 5 pounds of pears to try to bring the lighter pear flavor to the front.

I'm hoping for a semi sweet to slightly dry wine, back sweetening if needed with orange blossom honey. I'm looking for something light and refreshing with subtle fruity notes while still having some complexity.

What do you guys think? Will this work? Any tweaks or suggestions are as always, very much appreciated!
:tank:

That is going to be a very water wine. A much better quality one would be to just use pure fruit, thaw them, smush them up, mix it all up in a bucket and add the right amount of acid blend based one how much it needs vs how much is in a recipe. You might want to cut down on the tannin. You are going to have a lot of sediment so you might only get a gallon or 2 from it, but it will be much better wine than your recipe. WVMJ

Actually since neither is very strongly flavored its about the only way you can make something really good from them. Add a few more strawberries right at the end of the primary, dont crush them, sliced or whole is fine, and let them soak in the primary a day or two, this will boost the nose of your creation, filling the room with strawberry when you open the bottle. WVMJ

Back