StrangeBrew Elsinore - Raspberry Pi based brewery controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougEdey

Reaction score
So, I've been working on this for a month or so, initially the hardware used a program that steve71 made on HBT, but I found it was extremely limited (1 output, a specific controller input, and some other annoyances). The next iteration needed to be rebased, and now I've made significant improvements

First things first: Github Repo for the code - Elsinore Server
Elsinore Android App

I will add be updating frequently as I find improvements/bugs, this is an Alpha for all intents and puposes

So the raspberry pi is a tiny (credit card size, almost), cheap ($35) PC with GPIO, 1Wire, PWM, and more on it, but it has the advantage of being able to run full linux in a low power environment via an SD card.

The basic setup is:

Raspberry Pi with Debian installed and 1wire modules, connected to 1wire DS18B20 probes, and SSR outputs.

The inputs are the 1wire probes, which are accurate enough for this kind of work, they can be chained on one bus which helps to reduce footprint.
The SSRs control the -120v and +120v (or just one if you want to save a bit of cash) to the elements.

Circuit Diagram
rpi_circuit.png

It is designed to throw JSON style data out constantly (using the /getstatus URL):
Code:
{"hlt_pid":
{"elapsed":1361666853197,"scale":"F","cycle":2.0,"duty":0.0,"p":4.0,"gpio":11,"temp":37.4,"setpoint":175.0,"k":41.0,"i":169.0,"mode":"off"},
"kettle_temp":
{"elapsed":1361666852388,"scale":"F","temp":37.2866}
}

In this example the HLT is setup as a PID (there's a GPIO pin setup in the config file, and a temperature probe setup), the Kettle is setup with a probe and no GPIO, so it's only reading the temperature.

Here is an example of the Android I have made, and uploaded, (ignore the names of the devices, I've been playing)

PID_Elsinore.png

The settings allow you to specify the server name and port, as well as the refresh time.

Hello to all,
my name is Antonio and I am the administrator of the forum homebrewers Italian birrabirra and I apologize for my bad English.
I just recently purchased the Raspberry PI model B rev02 with sensors DS18B20 SSR and down to create a control system for my RIMS TUBE 1500W with current 220 Volts DC.
I would need the support and aid in the installation of Elsinore within the Raspberry PI and whether the scheme can also for AC at 220V 50HZ.
Thank you very much by the Italian community of Homebrewers.

Back