Strange Stuff in Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritobandito

Reaction score
I made this yeast starter last night for a beer I'm doing friday. I made it like any other starter I've ever made and used Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale). I aerated a bit before bed, and when I woke up today I noticed this blackish brown stuff floating on top of the krausen. It smells fine, but I've never seen it before so I'm a bit worried. I couldn't get a pic of it this morning, but I decided to aerate it more and check when I got home. There are still a few bits floating around but not nearly as much. Here's a pic, which sucks, but it's the best quality my camera can get. It's the dark colored spots floating around on top.

http://img232.imageshack.us/i/1000593t.jpg/

I am curious about what answer you'll get, so I'll weigh in for the fun of it. I was wondering if you heated the starter in a erlenmeyer flask and if you could have had some scorched bits that came loose?

Nah I did it in my 5 gallon pot. Everything was mixed up really well. I only noticed the black sludge stuff the morning after I made it. I've been aerating it still and it seems to have disappeared when it was shaken. I still have extra yeast just in case though.

It appears there is an infinity sign in your starter. Very intriguing.

Seriously though, last time I made a starter I used my brewpot as well, and specs of the scorched solids came up leaving some floaties. The pic is a bit blurry, but my chunks were noticeable large pieces, like when you crack an egg and the shell gets in. Those look awfully small.

I ended up using still. I cracked the lid on the bucket after 1 week and it didn't look like there was hardly any krausen during the fermentation. I'll take a gravity reading in another week to see what's up.

Back