Strange sediment in kettle soured wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurDigbySellers

Reaction score
This weekend I started the process to brew a Berliner Weisse using grain to sour my wort. This is the first time I have ever tried to sour a beer.

This was a 2.5 gallon batch using BIAB with full volume of water. I mashed in my boil kettle, cooled to 120 and then pitched the grain in a bag into the wort. Covered with saran wrap, purged with CO2 and held the temp at around 100 for 48 hours. It was just the right amount of sour so I went ahead with the boil.

I boiled for 60 minutes and noticed that once the wort really started rolling that some kind of sediment was floating around in there. It was orange colored and looked sort of like a thin skin. I tried scooping some of it with a slotted spoon but with that much activity I couldn't get much of it.

After cooling the wort, I siphoned to the fermenter and noticed a lot of the sediment was going into the carboy. I probably should have done some kind of filtering but I didn't so there is quite a bit in the carboy.

Is this typical of a sour wort? After draining the kettle completely there was a lot of this "skin" on the bottom of the kettle. I have no idea if this is a product of the lacto infection that sat on the bottom of the kettle or what the heck this stuff is. Any insight would be appreciated.

I would hate to think that after everything else went so perfectly for my first time souring that this junk is going to ruin my batch.

I guess no one has seen this before or I didn't describe what it looked like well enough. I sampled the beer after about a week in the fermenter and it still tasted perfectly fine.

So I bottled the batch on Wednesday and just to make sure I didn't siphon any of that weird stuff into my bottling bucket, I covered my auto-siphon with a mesh bag and did the transfer. I avoided getting any of it into my bottling bucket so that was good.

When cleaning out the carboy, I slowly poured the contents into my sink so I could see the sediment more closely and it resembled the skin of an nectarine. It was soft, rubbery, and was reddish orange in color. I still have no idea if it came from the lacto infection or if the acidic wort pulled something off the actual kettle while I was holding the temp for the lacto infection.

It seems no harm was done but it would have been nice to know what it came from.

Back